Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Tampa, Florida
    4" chiller pipe bursts inside building...and no once notices for 2 days. Only on a government job.

    Video available at:

    Water main break causes damage at Lely High

    July 27, 2005

    A water main break at Lely High School has caused at least $500,000 in damage as administrators scramble to prepare the building for the first day of classes next month.

    On July 16, a Saturday, a bolt joining two 4-inch pipes contained in the second-floor ceiling of the school wing rusted off, causing the main to break, said Russell Clukey, the Collier County school district's executive director for support services.

    "When the plant operator came in Monday morning (July 18), he said it sounded like a brook was running through the hallway," he said.

    Workers frantically have been tearing down walls, pulling up carpet and taking apart the ceiling in a hurried effort to rid the building of potential mold and other airborne hazards that could develop because of the break.

    The pipes poured water onto the second floor, through the first-floor ceiling and into stairwells and the elevator shaft for nearly two days before the school's plant operator reported for duty July 18, Clukey said. By then, the potentially small leak had become a waterfall flowing down the stairs and through the ceiling.

    Officials are not sure how many gallons of water poured through the school, but investigators will be able to determine the amount in the coming weeks, Clukey said.

    Environmental consultants came into the school last week to assess the work to be done. They recommended that the walls and carpets in at least 12 classrooms be ripped out, along with Sheetrock in the walls of the cafeteria and along the building's main hallways, Clukey said.

    "The damage was a bit more excessive than we originally thought," he said. "But we're doing all we can now so that we don't have to go back while kids are in school and fix things later."

    Clukey said work in the flooded portion of the school may not be completed when teachers return on Aug. 8, but should be finished before students return on Aug. 15.

    Environmental consultants from American Management Resources Corp. in Fort Myers conducted a visual inspection of the damage, and made recommendations for repairs based on what they saw. An air test will be conducted once repairs are completed before students return to school to make sure no mold or airborne hazards will cause unsafe conditions for students.

    "We've been proactive in dealing with this right from the start, and we got the best people and consultants to deal with this," said Eli Mobley, director of security and environmental management for the School Board.

    "We'll go back and test the air to make sure what's on the inside is the same as what we see on the outside" of the walls.

    Mobley said inspectors noticed bits of mold at the base of some of the building's walls. The mold, he said, was probably already on the walls, and was caused by cleaning materials often used by custodians.

    Workers are replacing the walls where the mold was discovered to prevent future problems, Mobley said.

    Clukey said workers also are checking the building's other pipes, which are 10 years old, for rusting or other problems that could cause a similar incident. He said the School Board does not plan to take legal action against the company that installed the pipes.

    "The No. 1 goal is to make sure this is a safe environment for teachers and students," Clukey said. "Workers are working on weekends and late nights here, and I think we're making great efforts."


    Repairs to Lely High approaching $1M mark

    August 7, 2005

    Damage estimates from the July 16 water main break at Lely High School rapidly are approaching the $1 million mark as crews continue working long days to get the building ready for the return of teachers and students.

    Cleaning and repair crews continued working double shifts last week to ready Building C, where the damage occurred, for teachers' return Monday.

    Despite the rising damage total, repairs mostly will be completed when students return Aug. 15, said Michele LaBute, chief operating officer for the Collier County School District.

    "It's phenomenal the work they've done," she said. "We think just about everything will be done by the first day of school."

    The school system's deductible on the insurance is $100,000 and insurance should cover the remaining costs of the repairs.

    Investigators determined that a rusted bolt caused the water main to break, dumping chilled air-conditioning water throughout the building for two days. The break occurred on a weekend, so it wasn't discovered by the school's plant operator until he reported for work on that Monday, LaBute said.

    Workers have replaced other similar bolts to prevent future breaks from occurring, she said.

    A final report determining why the bolt, which was installed in 1991, rusted will be released in the coming months, LaBute said.

    Officials attribute the rising damage estimate to rapid cleanup efforts and the replacement of the bolts.

    Many of the classrooms damaged by the water have been renovated completely, and are just in need of cleaning, LaBute said. Two cleaning companies have been hired to sweep through the building as workers finish their repairs, she said.

    The walls and ceilings in at least 12 classrooms, the cafeteria and some hallways in the building have been torn down and replaced in accordance with recommendations from environmental consultants, LaBute said.

    A consultant has been on site every day, monitoring the repairs, she said.

    Principal Mike Parrish said he has been in contact with several of the teachers who will be returning Monday.

    "I think they trust that I'm making sure things are moving in the direction of finality," he said of the repairs. "I was a teacher, and I know that kind of (planning) time is sacred, but I've assured them that any extra time they'll need will be there."

    Parrish, who started work at the school June 1, said the situation won't hinder his optimism for his first year as Lely's principal.

    "The wind was taken out of my sails the first time I walked in and saw the water. It was a startling shock," he said. "But in the long run, this will just be a bump on the road.

    "I like to look at these experiences as learning experiences, and I've learned just how well (everyone) has rallied around us."

    Some teachers returning Monday won't be able to get into their classrooms and will have to do their planning elsewhere in the school, LaBute said.

    Though they won't be able to decorate their classrooms immediately, they still should have ample time to prepare for students' return, she said.

    "There might be a few situations, but I think everyone will be able to hit the ground running," Parrish said. "I want them to be comfortable."

    If some classrooms remain unfinished next week, students and teachers will be able to use other vacant classrooms while their assigned rooms are put back in order, LaBute said.

    "We're lucky, because this school is not at capacity," she said. "If we were at capacity and had portables (movable classrooms) filled, we'd have problems."

    LaBute said environmental consultants will give officials a letter certifying the school's safety on Monday.

    [Edited by tpa-fl on 08-12-2005 at 01:09 PM]

  2. #2
    luckily it didn't have glycol in the system

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hmm...a 4" chilled water line breaks and gushes water for two days...guess there must not be any kind of building automation/alarm/paging system in place to notify someone of loss of chill water pressure, chiller tripping on low gpm's through chiller barrel, etc...ANYTHING to get the plant operator's attention at the beginning rather than two days later!

    Some bean counter probably thought an alarm/paging system would be too expensive...gotta have that totally enclosed practice field or some other whizbang feature...but looks like now they can see just how much money such a system could've saved them (insurance premiums likely to go up, if nothing else).
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

    A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

  4. #4
    probably had jumper on flow switch

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    The article called it a water main. But what would a big chilled water system have to prevent something like this?

  6. #6
    i just can't see the make-up making up enough to overcome the loss - would think flow switch would shut it down, just my opinion though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Florida's space coast
    Originally posted by heatpumpjesus
    i just can't see the make-up making up enough to overcome the loss - would think flow switch would shut it down, just my opinion though.
    I was thinking along the same lines.

    Wow, they must have a huge make-up on that system.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    What do you think should shut down the system in this situation? The flow switch is often connected directly to the chiller. If the flow switch did indicate no flow than the chiller would shut down but not turn the pumps off. If the pumps had current sensors for status then they would not have turned off. If they had DP's then depending on how they were adjusted and how big the make up line they may not have turned the pumps off either.

    We don't know if the chiller ran during this leak. I would guess that it didn't. The pumps obviously did though. What would have prevented this from happening?

    It seems like the make up line must have been oversized.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Austin, Texas
    The news stories make it sound like only one bolt failed, not all of them on the flange. If it was only one bolt it may have leaked at a rate low enough for the make up water to replace it. However, I would count on a news story to correctly report such a small detail as how many bolts failed.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    It was probably a victaulic fitting, one broken bolt and the whole fitting would open up.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    I was thinking Vic also, but rusted through in 10 years??? System had bigger problems if that was the case. Chiller or pumps need not have been running for make-up water to flood building after coupling let go, working on pressure drop that make-up water valve would've run for a year if not discovered.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event