Run dehumidifier year round?

Looking for advice on using our dehumidifier to remove musty odors in our basement.

We have a finished basement that has a musty smell. It is dry except for very rare extreme downpours that cause a bit of water to come in in the unfinished portion. It runs down the drain that is in the same area.

One of our issues is whether or not to run the dehumidifier year round. We live in the mid-west (Missouri) and get all four seasons and summertime humidity. I like to have the windows open as much as possible, typically in the spring and fall. The dehumidifier is in our basement and the door to the basement is almost always closed. Do we run the dehumidifier when the upstairs windows are open? I have read conflicting information.

When finances allow we need to address the problem. Our furnace and AC are 22 years old and we have an older dehumidifier.

Get a real dehumidifier like a large enough Santa Fe that can maintain <50%RH throughout the basement space. When the basement door are open to the outside and the outside dew points are +50^F, you are adding more moisture than any dehumidifier can handle. This generates more stink in the damp corners of the space. I suggest a powerful dehumidifier with controlled fresh air make-up air to keep the space dry and fresh smelling. During the cold weather, the dry low dew point fresh air will keep the basement dry. Also fresh air throughout the home will make the entire home healthier.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"