Help with smelly vacation home

I'm so glad to have found this site! I would very much appreciate some advice for making our vacation home inhabitable.

A little background: Bought the house 19 years ago and found that band board and entire floor was rotten. Tore down the home and rebuilt it 5 years later. The original home was over a cinder block crawl space and we rebuilt on the same cinder block crawl space.

All was great for 11 years, but over the last few years the musty smell when we open the door after being away for one to several weeks almost knocks us over! I have awful allergies and end up sleeping in the van most of the night when we arrive late at night. After running the attic fan and then the AC things are much improved.

How can we correct this problem in the least expensive, but still effective manner. Money is tight right now and we are willing to do the work ourselves if that is possible. I have read a good deal about encapsulation systems and ventilation systems, but feel lost when trying to decide what to do to solve the problem.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

1-you don't indicate what kind of environment?

2-is the ground surface in the crawl space covered with 6mil plastic?

3-is the floor insulated?

4-do you leave the a/c-heat off?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Any odors are a sign of excess moisture for an extended period of time. Plastic on the earth, dehumidification in all of the interior space including the living space.
    Avoid infiltrating outside air during the times of vacancy and dew points above 50^F. Checkout the Santa Fe line of dehumidifiers. <50%RH when the space is unoccupied is critical to control mold and rot.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"