I've been to this job a few times, but not as much as my co workers.

Church job in sunny slop area of Phoenix.

Compressor went bad on the left unit.

Our co has been doing work here. Gives bid on compressor. Customer goes and finds cheaper bid. Another co gets a compressor in there, and finds out it is the wrong voltage! OOPS! Then they swap the compressor out again and has all sorts of trouble.

Gets the comporessor in there and can't finish it. Says there is a restriction in the system, leaves and don't come back! Now they call US back out. Actually. Our other tech was here today not me. I stopped by for a sec to look at something with him as I was going to lunch right up the road from here.

He found the restriction...

Air handler up in attic like area.

I think this is like a 10 ton system. maybe bigger. That is where our tech just put in a new 5/8 liquid filter dryer. he removed the new 3/8 filter dryer that the other co who slapped the comp in installed. He said they used several different sizes of copper to make reducers to go from 5/8 to 3/8 back to 5/8 LOL!!!!

Do you THINK that would be a restriction?????

then the maintenance guy starts telling stories of what happened with the other co's tech.

See, the other unit has a sight glass.

This one no longer does. the maint guy says the other co was brazing in a new sight glass with the new compressor (shocking!). Says he got it so damn hot the glass popped out! So he had to straight pipe it.

Also, I guess our tech who originally diagnosed the bad comp unhooked the crank case heater. Left them two wires loose going to the crankcase heater. The other co's tech says to the maint guy, "these wires" and grabs them getting shocked really bad!!!!

Must not have realized a crankcase heater is 460 volts(or was it 230, don't remember), NOT 24 volts!

That is some funny crap. But what is funnier is that this maint guy follws you around all of the time. And even though they LIKE our co, They still shop around for the BIG repairs then call us back as needed!!!!

Kind of serves them right!!!

I would fire them as a customer.
    R2B4BTU

I duno Payson, considdering some of the other work you have shown us that your company has done, can you blame them?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Yeah. But we didn't install these units.

I forgot this funny part he told me. Our other tech told them 9K for a new condenser. 5K for the comp. They wouldn;t go with a condenser. Went with another co for comp for 4K. Then they spent $5k for comp. Said, we've got 9K in it. That's what you wanted for a comndenser!

Gotta just LAUGH at them fools. Too bad they are running a church. God should have woken somebody up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PaysonHVAC
    This one no longer does. the maint guy says the other co was brazing in a new sight glass with the new compressor (shocking!). Says he got it so damn hot the glass popped out! So he had to straight pipe it.

Did the maintenance man mention at all that the other tech did a nitrogen sweep while performing this cauterization??? Trust a proper cleanup was performed, but still scared that you might be married to it?!

Here's a funny coincidence...I worked at that church a long time ago...when those new units were installed. The installing company couldn't get them running, so they called me out there to see what I could do. The maintenance guy starts telling me the story...they can't keep the blowers running...other company has changed pulleys, added return, dinked around for 2 months. Finally came up with "the duct work is not sized properly." They want to go through and replace all of the duct. So I realize the blower motors are overheating and IP tripping off. So I look at the nameplate amps and then amp the motor, and it's way over amps but barely moving any air. On the nameplate there is a little sticker that says "Factory wired for 240V, rewire for 480V operation." So I'm like...no way. Sure enough they had not rewired the blower motors. So I put the original blower pulleys back on, rewired the motors and start up the units...and like FM, they worked perfectly.
    And then the fun really started...
    Those original monkeys wanted to get paid for all the extra work they did...added returns, changed pulleys, freon "adjustments," coffee breaks, etc. I ended up having to go to mediation for the church to explain what was really going on...their position was that their warranty was voided because another company had worked on the equipment, so they were no longer responsible...
    I always wondered how long those compressors would last considering how much abuse they had right from the start.
    Leadership...the ability to move forward even when you've burned your foot.

Sunnyslpe has got to be one of the worst parts of phoenix.

I lived a ways up from there. I worked with a bunch of kids that went to sunnyslope high school, and every single one of them were whackos. No joke. One kid that I worked with actually got kicked out of sunnyslope h.s. for trying to strangle a teacher with a phone cord!

I would drive down Dunlap street on my way to work and usually ended up having to stop to let 2 or 3 of the kids cross the street. I Don't think I saw one kid that wasn't dressed like a punk or a ho.

Sunnyslpe has got to be one of the worst parts of phoenix.

I lived a ways up from there. I worked with a bunch of kids that went to sunnyslope high school, and every single one of them were whackos. No joke. One kid that I worked with actually got kicked out of sunnyslope h.s. for trying to strangle a teacher with a phone cord! (Man it is nice being away from college and actually working with NORMAL people!)

I would drive down Dunlap street on my way to work and usually ended up having to stop to let 2 or 3 of the kids cross the street. I Don't think I saw one kid that wasn't dressed like a punk or a ho.

Is that a Latter Day Saint church? If so the ones that I worked on dont care about cost as long as it is fixed right.I guess money that is spent right is money saved.

"punks and ho's!"

You got THAT right!

It's not a LDS. Lutheran I think? I don't remember. Wasn't my job that time. But I know them techs have been out there many times. The systems have little quirks because of the weird airflow, and other problems I've heard about

Speaking of a mormon church. Several years back I helped a co worker reloacate a Mitsubichi mini split on the mormon church in Pine,AZ.

We sure screwed off a bunch on that job. PLaying practical jokes on each other. Surprised we ever finished that job!

The funninest part was when we couldn't find the simple 20 amp breaker for the mini split. I told the co worker to just "reach in that j=box, and CUT them wires with your dikes (side cutters) and it will trip the correct breakrer for us.

He hesitates and finally takes me up on the dare. I have never seen so many sparks before! That little 12 gage wire blew a hole into his dikes and it did trip something.

We continued to work and maybe an hour later we went inside to use the bathroom and get soemthing. The entire church had NO lighting what soever. It was so dark in the bathroom it took a while to find the door!

Found two 100+ amp fuses blown in the main panel. Never tripped that 20 amp breaker we were looking for