Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Job W/ ARS

I'm currently working for a company in NY installing boilers and have an opportunity to join ARS. Does anyone know anything about this company?? The company I'm currently with is union but ARS will be paying me $4 buck an hour more plus overtime. My current job does not have overtime. Any thoughts are most appreciated!!

food for thought

hello there not sure if things have changed but i was offerewd a position with the company in aurora,colarado southeast of denver. Sounded like a great company to work for until i learned your wages a earned by not repairing the problem buyt by pushing sales of new units and commision on all parts installed aka no set hourly wage at the time they told me their techs made about 17/hr like i said one or two bad weeks could have you living in your van. this job was not for an honest tech in my eyes.. Maybe they have changed that was about two years ago hope this helpd you out//

are you an apprentice now? where will you learn more? where will you be making more $$$ in 5 years? lots of empty promises made in this business.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Well I shrug at any job I have to fallow that ARS has been at out in my neck of the woods, ARS is also the same company that owns AHS Home warranty, so be prepared.

Thanks for the responses, certianly lots to think about. Here's what I'm up against.
    Current company:
    Union shop and no benefits for 6months, $14/hr and no overtime. Paired with experienced mech willing to teach BUT smokes LOTS of coke on the job, is a real head case, complains like an old woman with mood swings brought on by drugs. BUT is willing to teach. I'm basically stuck in boiler installations.Money sucks, I'm married with child and bills are piling up.
    ARS:
    Everything unknown except as an apprentince will get$18/hr. and overtime too. Benefits in 3 months. The GM knows my level of experience so I don't think he's looking for a mechanic right out of the box. He says that I will ALSO learn AC as well. I do have EPA Universal Cert. from trade school. The money will get me out of this hole.

I'm waiting for the results of my pee test then will give 1 week notice. In the meantime, lots to think about.
    Guys, help me out!!

ARS may not be the ideal company,but it sonds like your best move right now,take it and learn all you can.

stick with it

learn all you can from the head case in three months you will be in a much better position to transfer at the hall with bennies married or not suck it up cancel cable ,cell phones cut back whereever you can ars reputation will follow you....i put my time in and am now in the union after five years of jumping around well worth it in the end

Some thing sounds strange that a non union shop is willing to pay 4 bucks an hour more.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by beenthere
    Some thing sounds strange that a non union shop is willing to pay 4 bucks an hour more.

I think the fact that a lead man can get away with smoking crack on the job speaks volumns for the company.

Run, run far and fast from that gig.

You can do better.

We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

The reason the pay is 4/hr more is that originally it was going to be 16/hr but health benefits would cost 2/hr so the GM raised it to 18/hr so I could actually make the extra 2/hr as additional income. Seems fair to me. After getting the results of the Pee Test and officially getting the job, I plan on meeting the GM and voicing my concerns that I wish to be paired with a Mechanic who will be willing to show and teach me. I have learned alot and make up for lack of knowledge with eagerness and energy to do whatever it takes to be a helper and student. Example: the crack head always shows up to the job site @ 10am. I'm there at 7.Why you ask? I'm getting paid and expected to be there. And if anyone from the company shows up there, I'll cover and say He's at the supply house. The result of all of his lateness is that we work 12 hr days and the company doesn't pay overtime. But I'm only doing it because I'm dedicated to seeing this job through and I'm learning. But this can't continue. ARS will pay overtime and if they will hook me up with someone who will teach, I'll be a happy camper.
    I'll post the outcome but please keep the responses coming.

Originally posted by newstart

Example: the crack head always shows up to the job site @ 10am. I'm there at 7.Why you ask? I'm getting paid and expected to be there. And if anyone from the company shows up there, I'll cover and say He's at the supply house.
    In other words, you dug your own hole.

You should have left the jobsite at your normal quiting time, and reported it.
    Your not helping the company out, or their customer.

Yes, some times easier said then done.

Voice your concerns after your offically hired?
    Thats is what you are suppose to do during the interview.

Gave you the extra 2 bucks to make up for no insurance?
    So does that mean you get no raises for another year or 2 after you do get the insurance?

This is what you ask before accepting the job, not after.

I hope everthing goes well for you.
    Contractor locator map

Cool working for ARS

I work for ars now in tucson the one thing I can say is there is always lots of work. The co. spends up to $80,000 a month in ads.I have done work in commercial,install and residential as a tech i find having
    work all year round is a good thing.and yes we do alot of AHS work and servicemaster owns both co's.i get a co. truck to take home,some of the best insurance metlife,bluecross and others for me and my family cost 800
    i pay 296 i get up to 144 pto hours a year and yes they do ask to sell new units if you work on a unit 10 years or older.each service center is not the same there are good apples and bad but i know alot of tech who after the season
    is over get laid off so far we work all year around.i have never been told not to fix something if it could be fixed
    or to condemn a unit to sell a new one but sales is high on the list.I think it's up to the tech to be true to themselfs i sleep a night knowing i did the best honest job
    i could.

Post back again in another month.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast