View Poll Results: should a manufacturer honor compressor warranty on neglected unit?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • don't have to warranty

22 91.67%
  • should warranty

1 4.17%
  • don't care

1 4.17%
  • what's wrong here, again?

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The system was either run without a filter for a while then had one put in or has massive R/A leaks. And a leaking dryer vent by the looks of it.

And your not only screwing the mfg. of the cost of a compressor that shouldn't be warrantied but the dist. and the contractor are losing money on the sale of the compressor.

Include a maintenance plan on new systems and write on compressor service ticket "Pending manufacturer's acceptance" or something of that nature. Before ordering compressor.

(Or any warranty parts. Get some rubber stamps.)
    Last edited by Stamas; 05-11-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added last.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    I didn't say that my distributor screws me over if I return warranty parts.

Glass half empty, glass half full....it's all in your point of view.

If we're petty and small, we get played by the book....If we play nice, we're treated nice.
    In one of your other post in some thread you said you don't return small warranty parts cause your afraid your distributor will increase or not give you as good of a price on your equipment anymore.

That sounds like you think your distributor either does, or will screw you over.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Would the phrase"If The MFG Refuses Payment For Any Reason, The HO Is Responsible For The Actual Costs". would that be legally binding on the cust's part in your state?Just wondering

Most AC (mini splits) here only gets a one year warranty from the manufacturer, some have a further two years from the distributor, but its only generally valid if the claim is made by the installing company.

I find that often if something has been put in badly and failed in the warranty period people would rather just pay to get it fixed than have the other company back or sometimes they can't even find them again!

A warranty would only cover manufacturing defects so if that comp has been pumping liquid due to too low a load or constantly tripping on hp in heating mode then i don't think its a legitimate claim, it would be up to the manufacturer to inspect the failed comp and decide though.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    In one of your other post in some thread you said you don't return small warranty parts cause your afraid your distributor will increase or not give you as good of a price on your equipment anymore.

That sounds like you think your distributor either does, or will screw you over.
    I don't think I said it quite that way. I usually state this pretty much the same way. I don't return little stuff.....not out of fear, but out of cooperation....and the fact that it really isn't worth my time.

Rest assured, I fear the moderators here, more than I fear my distributors
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    I don't think I said it quite that way. I usually state this pretty much the same way. I don't return little stuff.....not out of fear, but out of cooperation....and the fact that it really isn't worth my time.

Rest assured, I fear the moderators here, more than I fear my distributors
    LOL... I'm just posting as a Pro member.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

In the past I've seen cases where the manufacturer will ask for much more detailed info if a second warranty claim on the same part comes in. Maybe they factor in some of these issues in their costs/planning?

How many out there would miss low airflow or not pull out old /fds, much less catch potential causes of a failure, other than "these units are crap"

I've had a few problem jobs on Trane units, they give a page with a diagram and a bunch of readings they want, takes over an hour to collect that info, before the tech rep comes out.
    They replaced a coil that would shed water off into the a/h after 2 yrs. put in new coil, 2 yrs later started shedding water again. we figured there was something in the house that coated the coil, wash with 409 annually and no problems since. Had todo the sheet on that one.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12