View Poll Results: should a manufacturer honor compressor warranty on neglected unit?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • don't have to warranty

22 91.67%
  • should warranty

1 4.17%
  • don't care

1 4.17%
  • what's wrong here, again?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

warranty compressor?

did a compressor change out last week (10 yr parts and labor). while pumping down the system I took a look at the condition of the a/h as well....

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/attachment....1&d=1305075878

bad compressor windings, but no acid.

crossed my mind- should the manufacturer have to honor the warranty on this thing? looks like either no maintenance or multiple someone's never cleaned the coil.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

was there even a filter, or was the coil fuz being used as such. and depending on the manufacturer they can decline the warranty based on lack of maintence.

Was the customer advised that annual check ups are required to maintain the warranty.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

new customer. they did have a filter, but I suspect that took awhile to build up.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Unless they knew they were suppose to get annual check ups. I wouldn't be considering trying to deny or have the manufacturer deny the warranty. Some companies sell warranties, but want nothing to do with annual maintainence check ups. So it could be these people were in the dark.
    Contractor locator map

Why should I screw my distributor, in order to cover a customer's ignorance or negligence?

I understand that maybe the customer "didn't know"....but does that make a manufacturer liable for that?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

As well as the warranty registrations, most air conditioner boxes contain the owners manuals and maintenance recommendations. Are we dealing with children that have to be watched as they do their homework?

If the installer didn't hand them to the owner as they walked out the door, they aren't worth half their weight in stale ****. What the owner does with it after that is their problem.

No warranty for neglect.

I wouldn't expect it on my truck's engine if I couldn't prove I changed the oil once in a while. "But the last container I added said it was 100,000 mile oil! "
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

By the looks of that coil I'd say the filters haven't been changed very much except for right before you got there. Don't know what the situation is but IMO the warranty should not be honored due to lack of maintenance, pure and simple.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

If it's a severe or obvious case of neglect, how can they claim they didn't know they had to take care of their unit? Heck, we put up huge billboards, radio ads advertising spring clean and checks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Why should I screw my distributor, in order to cover a customer's ignorance or negligence?

I understand that maybe the customer "didn't know"....but does that make a manufacturer liable for that?
    Your distributor didn't under write the parts and labor warranty, so what do they have to do with it.

Didn't you also say you think your distributor screws you over if you turn in warranty parts.
    Contractor locator map

Real simple. No maintenance, NO warranty.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Your distributor didn't under write the parts and labor warranty, so what do they have to do with it.

Didn't you also say you think your distributor screws you over if you turn in warranty parts.
    I didn't say that my distributor screws me over if I return warranty parts.

Glass half empty, glass half full....it's all in your point of view.

If we're petty and small, we get played by the book....If we play nice, we're treated nice.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

I just did a Burn-out. Called to see if it was under warranty and they said "Yes". I explained to the HO what, when and how much. Going back with the replacement compressor I realized looking inside the unit... "Crap, this one has Been Replaced Before"! I'm thinking that the MFG might not warranty the Second one. The MFG wanted the Serial Number of the old compressor (and it was an '09 the condenser was an '06). I've held my breath until this morning, my account is showing the Credit this morning.

In this case the Kicker is, the Company that Hacked the First Replacement In didn't change the dryer (inside the condenser with the TXV on one end) or install a Suction Line Dryer. The first replacement lasted about 1.5 years. My honest opinion was They Should Not Have Warranted The Second One Because The Company That Installed The First One Killed The Second One. I was afraid that I'd end up paying for the Second one. I'm sure the HO would have Not Paid for the Compressor. (On Warranty Claims, I make Note on the Invoice "If The MFG Refuses Payment For Any Reason, The HO Is Responsible For The Actual Costs".

Hacks, Keep On Hacking!
    (No, I don't Even want to Mention the Company)
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast