Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'd go with the Rigid, You won't regret it.
    Have used alot o the others, but will retire with my Rigid.

The tool you buy is only as good as the tech using it!

Tips for Flaring Copper

An incorrect flare is one of the most common sources of leaks. To help prevent leaks and call backs, cut tubing with sharp wheel in a quality cutter (page 95) for a clean right-angle cut. To avoid tube constriction, use a light hand on the feed screw.

Since unremoved burrs can break off into the tubing or scratch the flared surface, remove burrs with a deburring tool.

A flare tool with burnishing cone puts a high polish on the flare and rolls out a perfect 45 flare for a good seal. Over or under flaring prevents a good seal. Use drop of oil on the flaring cone and feed screw for precise action.
    R2B4BTU

They teach you how to swage tubing in school. However I would not let any of my men swage tubing in the real world.

Swaging pipe takes too long and time is money. Plus you strech the crap out of the pipe which can't be a good thing.

Bottom line is don't invest a lot in a flaring setup because it can swage also. You might get a job with a grouchy old bastard like me.

My guys use and like the Ridgit flare block. Personally I like to use an Imperial "Roll-Aire" flare block and yoke.

Talking Re:Flaring tool

The Imperial Roll air is the best, also Ridgid, and Yellow Jacket. Also please,please buy Flare Nut wrenches. I have seen guys wrapping teflon tape around copper saying it is miss sized. BS flare wrenches put pressure aon all points of the flare nut, adjustables,only 2 points causing the tube to get out of round
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Don't forget... put the nut on first! How many times have I done that??
    Tracers work both ways.

Ice house I know what you mean abut the flare nut wrenches. I've seen a lot of rounded off break lines and break bleeder valves on cars were some goofball used a crescent wrench to turn the nuts into just round pieces of tubing.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Imperial the tool if not lost will last you a life time. One of my Imperial my dad gave me that and it has got to 40 year's old.
    Tin Knockers BANG for a living

Thumbs up best flaring tool

I did the math. I have inspected over 10,000 flares made by beginner technicians over the past seven years. By far, beginners find the most success using the basic Imperial brand flaring block and cone combo.
    My mind is made up. Never use anything other than Imperial. I have seen them all.
    Good luck.
    "Knowledge is what you get when you read the directions. Experience is what you get when you don't." --Unknown

Originally posted by otto
    The tool you buy is only as good as the tech using it!

Tips for Flaring Copper

An incorrect flare is one of the most common sources of leaks. To help prevent leaks and call backs, cut tubing with sharp wheel in a quality cutter (page 95) for a clean right-angle cut. To avoid tube constriction, use a light hand on the feed screw.

Since unremoved burrs can break off into the tubing or scratch the flared surface, remove burrs with a deburring tool.

A flare tool with burnishing cone puts a high polish on the flare and rolls out a perfect 45 flare for a good seal. Over or under flaring prevents a good seal. Use drop of oil on the flaring cone and feed screw for precise action.
    Good information off the Yellow Jacket site. They have quite a bit of useful information there. I've printed most of it and keep it in a binder.
    Get back to work.

Speaking of tools,

I just bought a racthet type tubing bender that will do up 7/8" soft copper. I got gear benders, arm benders and all kinds of weird stuff. I aint too much of a tool gadget guy away from electronic stuff. But I said what the hell, had a job coming up where I needed to make things look pretty with soft.

This thing is the cats ass. So Cause now I am on this ratchet binge, I went and bought that ratchet tubing cutter too. These are not bad tools, wow.

The one thing I wish to god they would make is a battery operated vacuum pump. Another thing. Digital gauges. Not that crap from Digicool. Just like the analogs we buy and put on manifolds. Same size, same threads just digital, and also reads microns. I can't understand why yellow jacket or one of the others don't have that offering. Must be too expensive to make or something.

Talking Re: Digital gauges

Dowdudda, TIF makes digital gauges about $90 apiece.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    , and also reads microns. .
    Good to know that,but I doubt I can afford it.

Originally posted by hvacker
    Don't forget... put the nut on first! How many times have I done that??
    I wish I kept count!! I remember the first time I forgot the nut My pops was standing over my shoulder didn't say a word let me make the Flare, It looks good he say's and then started laughing as he walked away. I'm thinking whats so funny and then I realized Oh no I forgot the nut!!!! I still laugh every time I make a Flare.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12