Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused

A few weeks after school starts Ill be at the tubing section.
    And need a good flaring tool / block any suggestions on brand? Type? or just shop by price because they are all designed the same.?

Thanks all..
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

i have an imperial flaring/sweging tool kit, and i like it alot. i haven't ever used any other brand, so i wouldn't know comparisons.

Don't invest a ton of money unless you will be doing a lot of flaring in your line of work. I only use mine on oil burner service.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

I own Yellow Jackets deluxe flaring tool. It's not an everday tool for me, but it's worked great when needed. In fact, I think I've lent it out to other guys to use more than I have depended on it.
    Get back to work.

Originally posted by doglips

just shop by price because they are all designed the same.?

Thanks all..
    No they are not all the same,BUT,you can get by on a cheapo from auto parts store($10) and a yello jacket 6 in 1 swaging tool#60406 ($10)

But when you need to swage 3/4
    or 7/8 or larger you will need a seperate swage and block.

Do not buy the $10 one from the auto parts store. Imperial, Yellowjacket, Parker, etc. are much better choices.

Seriously, buy the best tools you can get.. they'll last forever, and save you a lot of frustration in the long run.

Sure, the Snap-on wrench is $50, and the Indonesian one is $5. After it breaks and you rip your knuckles open, ask yourself if it was worth it..

If you can't afford it new, check garage sales, auctions, pawn shops, or places like Retool. You can get good stuff cheap. Don't be afraid of something used if it's in good shape.

If you still can't afford it, email me your address and I'll send you one. I've got about 20 of them.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

One that works is the best....get yourself a sweging tool from johnstone or another quality hvac supply house

another place to shop is A QUALITY HVAC SUPPLIER

I have a Ridgid flaring tool and it works great. Doesn't allow you to mash the flare down too much with the built-in device. Won't swedge though.
    R2B4BTU

Originally posted by derrick1623
    i have an imperial flaring/sweging tool kit, and i like it alot. i haven't ever used any other brand, so i wouldn't know comparisons.
    I also have this kit, unique swaging dies work really good. High quality setup that I love.

Thank You all once more for the advice.

I will have to go get the prices..most likely go with the deluxe or the Yellow Jacket UNIVERSAL 45 FLARE / BURNISH TOOL http://www.yellowjacket.com/prdetail...2&Auto=1#a1302
    Maybe Ridged or Impearl if I find them before I get down to Johnston's (the baker brothers near my house seems a little high compared to johnstones)

ralphtheplumber thank you for the offer..put I prefer to pay my own way...and works been letting me suck up some serious OT.... As for buying the best tools...that's my goal...craftsman..ridged..kline..husky.yellow jacket and of course fluke..are in my price range...snap on, matco et el are just a little to much of a jump at this time...now if someone wants to trade some snap on tools for my teenagers....I would be more than happy too send them.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

The Yellow Jacket deluxe is what I have. It's about $80.

A little less money is the Rigid which is equal if not a better too itself.
    I used it a lot before it was stolen.
    It is not frusterating like the Yellow Jacket deluxe. You almost need three hands to set it all in palce before turning the clamp shut.

Do not buy a cheap flare tool.

I find that most a/c work is void of flares while refrig is chocked full of them.

When I spring for my next flare block, I will probably go to ebay and get another Rigid. Nothing wrong with having duplicates around.

Go to Johnstone and buy a set of swedges and pick up the odd one, 5/16. Then get a seperate flare block to pinch and hold the copper tubing while you swedge it.

A swedge comes in handy when you least expect em to.
    Be prepared, in season and out of season, to do the ebst job you possibly can.

I've used most of them from bad to really good. The one I wish I still had was the Rigid. When you turn the handle down to where the flare is made the tool turns and strops or polishes the flare. I think I just talked myself into buying another.
    Tracers work both ways.

I got the Backerac (SP?) in the blue case,.. it was cheap like 40$ and it does 7/8 whitch is what you need when you kink the line at about 5PM and you used your last coupler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast