Anyone know any good videos or Dvd's that teach air conditioning?
    Any1 know of any good videos or Dvd's that teach air conditioning?

Originally posted by theawkardmoment
    Any1 know of any good videos or Dvd's that teach air conditioning?
    Unfortunately no. There are some videos that give a basic premimer on what to do, but experiance and schools taught by professionals is the best teaching. Pick up some books, and get your foot into a low paying, bottom rung job at a good HVAC company that actually follows the standards that the industry endorses.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Yes, go to http://www.rses.org/ and go to their online store. They have computer based (CD) training disks that are very good.

Norm

thanks atufano and norm ........

There has to be a good video out there about air conditiong

somebody must know of 1 ?

Originally posted by theawkardmoment
    thanks atufano and norm ........

There has to be a good video out there about air conditiong

somebody must know of 1 ?
    It's not that the RSES videos are bad, or any video is bad for that matter most are good. It's just you cannot or I find it hard to believe that you can learn a trade from watching a video. This trade, like many other trades are better learned cramed into an attic or in an basement next to a seasoned technician. Like masonary, you're not going to build a wall knowing everything there is unless you get your hands dirty. If you are lucky, find a good HVAC company that is willing to take you on. Like our company likes to find individuals that have no experiance and then train them. That is how I started, and I was paid well, even as a green horn.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

u are right autofan i think its beeter to learn on the job and school with a good tech the will know book work and hands on more than any videocan show

One of the first classes in HVAC was taught with nothing but CD's. Lessons that you did at your own pace. It sucked! they explaine the basics but when you have a question about the lesson , you have no one to ask or explain things to you. In fact thats how I got involved with this board. I turned to the folks here to ask the questions that I didnt understand .

the worst part about cd lessons are that after 15 minutes or so of listening to someone talking at you, the lesson starts to get real boring

you can get the very basics on cd's and learn to troubleshoot a system but unless you are out applying that knowlege in the field you wont retain the info

there are old videos out there to that are just as boring

Have you read any of norms articals yet? you will learn much more from his articals than you will on cd's

look at the "for your interest" section

I got started with the book.

Heating and Cooling Essentials by Jerry Killinger.

Good overall coverage of the industry from working with copper up to customer service. LOTS of colored pictures visually showing you what's going on inside the unit.

It's not a video, but it kept my interest and I learned a lot of theory. Then I'd go out an practice on my own units to try stuff out.

..totally agree with atufano....on the job training with some schooling is the way to do it....the book mark_aanr mentions is a good one, and can be used as a reference book...

The best way to learn is doing it, but the best way to find out how is go to the source,public library.

You can find the knowledge but ,the ability is what comes in time.Find a good technician who is willing to teach you some of his ability.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Trade School

I got started right after high school in HVAC Trade school at our Community College. I did a year in school and then went into the trade in 1987. Did me a world of good to learn all that a quality program could teach me. Learned far more from hands on in the field and from old techs that I was a gopher for.I will never forget my first solo call. I was lucky to have some good old techs to learn from.