I've just started a new pm contract at a large facility and I'd like to be able to
    access the Metasys controls throughout the site with my laptop to adjust setpoints if
    needed.
    One controller seems to be more abundant throughout the site,AS-AHU102-0.All the controllers and room sensors seem to have a common connection where a laptop can be attached.
    I understand that a special dongle is needed for the laptop.Does anyone know where I can
    get one?
    Where would I get the software?
    I asked this several years ago and my employer checked into it with JCI.The answer was
    to be sent to a JCI 2 week coarse where you would be given the software lisense and
    JCI's permisssion to access the controllers.Unfortunately my Employer chose not to go this route.
    Is this still true?Are there any ways to
    bypass the JCI requirements and stay within the law?
    Thanks

http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.co...DF/1900046.PDF

software you need

and a CVT Pro converter, can be bought at Johnson Controls distributors, you dont have to have the class to purchase this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Well if its a client of your's and they Have HVAC pro on site! or a front end M5 or M3 (PMI/ work station) you should be able to use? (and they should have left by most spec, etc)

Or there are alot of ABCS for jci..if you dont like dealing with johnson (cant blam ya) allmost in every state.

Most UNT/AHU use HVAC pro...DX, XT use GX9100 software...
    DSC/FPU/etc Good luck will need front end or Hand program these..OLD stuff...

But N30 or NCM..will need a front end, or more software to axxcess these master controlers/proccess, etc

and there new line "PLC" controllers..would need something else..

WOW alot of software/hardware..etc needed...should took the class (just jokeing) i think the most you need is HVAC pro and a "CVT" or a "cable pro" to do most things on UNT's and AHU's

Dont break copyright laws! (but would suck it up at there workstation? and only use at there site, on there units! first I would check if they have it? Most Maint, guy dont use it! or On site Eng, Personel dont know what it is or use it much! also I would order a CVT from A ABCS JCI company)

Good luck

joey791,thanks for the info on the software.Ive given my
    supply house a copy to check on avaiability/cost

phxurs,
    -Well if its a client of your's and they Have HVAC pro on site! or a front end M5 or M3 (PMI/ work station) you should be able to use? (and they should have left by most spec, etc)
    They do have a workstation that I can use,but keep it locked
    up afterhours.Unfortunatly,afterhours is when I would need to make setpoint changes.I was asked by my parts vender what
    version of Metasys I have(M5,M3..)How can I find this info?
    Would it be labled somewhere in the workstations software?
    I'll check with the customer on more control specs he may have stached away.
    CVT Pro Converter,is this the cable that links the laptop
    to the master controllers,smartstats etc.
    Are there differant styles,assuming the Metasys is less than
    5 years old.

With all due respect, you need much more knowlege than you currently have in order to work with this system. You will need to find out exactly which JC controllers, supervisory controller and front end they are using. To buy software and hardware to connect with their system, without knowing what they have, can get very expensive. As far as schooling, JC has top-notch classes that will give you a real leg up on working with their stuff... I would suggest the ASC class first, knowlege gained from JC classes will also help you understand operation of others' controls which you will likely work on in your career.

Originally posted by hvac_czar
    With all due respect, you need much more knowlege than you currently have in order to work with this system. You will need to find out exactly which JC controllers, supervisory controller and front end they are using. To buy software and hardware to connect with their system, without knowing what they have, can get very expensive. As far as schooling, JC has top-notch classes that will give you a real leg up on working with their stuff... I would suggest the ASC class first, knowlege gained from JC classes will also help you understand operation of others' controls which you will likely work on in your career.
    Ive been to the ASC classes and both DX classes

You can download all manuals off of Johnson's site, if you have computer knowledge and any control abilities you can do what you need using the manuals.

czar, his employer refused to send him, rgd, download the manuals take some initiative and then you will have some bargaining leverage with your employer on going to the class, its amazing what the capabilitiy of a tech will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned