Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire hydrant

The homeowner owned this nice black lab...

Yeah, seen that before.
    WHY?

Expensive dog.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

I bet you love that dog.
    Get back to work.

The best part is the nice smell you get to deal with while you install a new unit. Don't you just love it?
    Leadership...the ability to move forward even when you've burned your foot.

Aint that a Pisser, pardon the pun.

Years ago, my dad told me of a neat trick to keep dogs out of a trash can. He said you could wire both lines of an extension cord to the can, one wire on each metal handle. He said the trick was to place a rubber mat beneath the metal trash can so it would not short out. Now when ol' scruffy came along and decided to stick his nose in the can to look for prizes, it would shock the sweet beejezus out of him, and he'd leave the trash alone. Now, I have never tried this, and I'm not even sure it would really work, but if it does I've got a plan. Make sure all electrical components in the system are rubber mounted in the unit to isolate them from being shorted. Then, run an exta 24 volt step down transformer from line voltage. Place a rubber pad beneath the ol' girl, then invite the neighbors "barking all damn night" dog over for a good old condenser coil wizz. Scruffy won't be piddling on the condenser coil anymore after he gets all tingley! Yea, I know. The neighbors kid might try it too. Oh well, back to the drawing board...

[Edited by ravenx on 08-12-2005 at 12:22 AM]

This is an urgent and extremely important message for all of those self proclaimed "home techs" and DIY'ers out there reading my previous post. "Hot wiring trash cans" Could, can, and possibly may cause serious pain, injury, death or extreme embarrasment to you, your neighbors or anyone elses kids, your neighbors "barking all damn night" dog. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY THIS AT HOME OR ANYWHERE ELSE! Please remind yourself that this is a joke, and I am not liable if your really do try it.

Naw. Don;t hook it up to the line voltage. Don't hook it up to the 24Volts (useless unless the dog is wet and is grounded good).

Get one of those ol' "step up" transformers a.k.a. electric fence transformer

You don't need to be grounded really well to feel that shock. but the ungrounded electrode needs to be insulated FROM ground. Like run a few un of them bare wires you use for the fence around the base of the unit hanging them on insulated connectors. Guarenteed to work!

in fact. the very first boss I did A/C for had trouble with the dogs digging under his fence. The electrician friend know of them dog fencers. He mounted the insulators around the lower peramter of the fence. Ran the wire on the insulators keeping the wire an inch or so above the ground. the other end grounded with a stake in the ground. When a PLANT LEAF touched the wire it BUZZED!!!

They called these dogs to the fence. And wouldn't you know it, the dog saw the wire, looked at it, and LICKED IT!!

That dog YIPPED like a mo facker!!! And the other dog touched it with it's paw. One of them dogs got shocked twice while we were on the OUTSIDE of the fence calling the dogs to come onver to the fence. The 3rd time we called the dog it GROWLED at us! The dog never growled at us! Oh. That was funny and hist dogs NEVER dug under the fence again. And after a few weeks he was able to leave the dog fencer un plugged

I hear that works for Pesky little neighbor kids who like to climb over/under fences also.

I just need to rig one of them up for my front door for when the mother in law visits, think she'll get the Hint.

Almost looks like sea salt corrosion baldy. Time for a spine fin condenser or a mira clamp on the dog's rod.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Originally posted by steamer
    I hear that works for Pesky little neighbor kids who like to climb over/under fences also.
    Worked on me when I was a kid.
    The owner's dog used to just jump up on it and howl for hours though.

what you need to do is get a t stat with a filter reminder on it. rig it up so that when the 'filter light' comes on, it energises a contactor that goes to an oil ignition transformer primary. you run insulated hi voltage wires from secondary to the homeowners easy chair and get some stranded wire and kinda weave it into the seat of the chair. make sure you do 2 halves and keep them seperate. then you get a 'on air'light and change it to say change filter and make sure that it flashes. wire the change filter light into the contactor on the same side as the transformer.

t stat filter light comes on, light flashes and when homeowner sits down get gets a shock. pretty soon, he learns to change the filter so i dont have to!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast