Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane Unit, Refrigeration question

I got a call from a lady who said her ac was hissing and leaking. I am going over there tomorrow to see what the problem is...with everything she has said it seems like there is a leak....I wanted to come prepared so I asked her for the model and serial number which she had it was TTX036c1ooa1 and serial number was K09297134.

I am new in the industry and not sure if anyone can let me know what refrigerant is in this system from the number....I am thinking 134 because of serial number but i am not certain. If anyone can help so I know what tank to bring. Thanks....

It's on the tag, next to the model number & serial number

Quote Originally Posted by HTFMike View Post
    I got a call from a lady who said her ac was hissing and leaking. I am going over there tomorrow to see what the problem is...with everything she has said it seems like there is a leak....I wanted to come prepared so I asked her for the model and serial number which she had it was TTX036c1ooa1 and serial number was K09297134.

I am new in the industry and not sure if anyone can let me know what refrigerant is in this system from the number....I am thinking 134 because of serial number but i am not certain. If anyone can help so I know what tank to bring. Thanks....
    2 ton system (036) most likely R-22. I can almost guarantee that the "hissing" she reported was not the sound of refrigerant leakage- if it was leaking so much that she could hear it, the system would be flat in a minute or 2- thats not to say that there isnt a refrig leak. A "hissing" noise in refer piping (the liquid line)could be indicitive of a system that is undercharged and therefore leaking. I notice you didnt say whether or not the system wasn't cooling. She probabaly (I could be wrong and am just going off of prior experiance) is noticing water around the plenum on top of the furnace/AHU hence the "leaking". The hissing sound is probably air escaping between the plenum and furnace. The "leaking" in the above example is most likely condensation forming along the air leak- If thats the case seal her up and go from there. Hope that helps.
    "It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

"Never an always and always a maybe"

Might want to take some coil cleaner as well, them internal reliefs can get noisy

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthingt View Post
    Might want to take some coil cleaner as well, them internal reliefs can get noisy
    Tru dat.. didnt think about the other end of things
    "It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

"Never an always and always a maybe"

A service vehicle doing residential service should always have a can of each common refrigerant used.

This is why I carry 8 different refrigerants on my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthingt View Post

LOL... Your on a roll.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Mike. Get your post count up to 15 and apply for pro membership. Once accepted, you can ask questions of this nature in the pro forums, and get better answers(ok, some might be worse).

By the way, did you go to Polaris.
    Contractor locator map

I did go to Polaris.... how would you of known that? haha

haha I know its on the tag. but I wasnt going to have the lady go around back to look for it...just trying to make things simple lol.

Quote Originally Posted by HTFMike View Post
    I did go to Polaris.... how would you of known that? haha

Your first post back in 2008 was asking about Polaris.
    Contractor locator map

yea I ended up going there and finished in jan.

Could be that the filter is matted or indoor coil is dirty causing Ice to form on the evap coil. TTX036 is a 3 ton. I would make sure the vents are open and returns aren't blocked also. Then check the charge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast