2 stage Thermostat for 2 stage furnace
    I've gotten 4 bids on my AC and heating needs. I'm going to be going with a Bryant 3 ton 14 seer and the Plus 90T 2 stage 47,000 low and 75,000 High. The company who will be doing the installation said they normally never use a 2 stage Thermostat with their 2 stage units, they said it's run by the board. I'm think this is more like a timer, first stage 16 min if it doesn't meet the set point the second stage kicks in, is this right? If so, what would be the advantage of having a 2 stage Thermostat? Can you set the times of the second stage going off? How would this help? I'm looking at the Vision Pro 8000 (TH830-U-1008 Multi-Stage).

Thanks as always!

On a Bryant, the board bases it on past runtimes. It's slightly better than a fixed timer but far from the comfort you can get from a good 2 stage stat. I'd certainly go with the TH8320 Vision Pro. With single stage stat, once it goes to high it is there. With 2 stage stat, it only goes to high when needed and returns to a gentle low when not needed. So much less cycling which is inefficient.

letting unit run by booard will have high stage time on then satisfy and shut off. 2 stage stat will bring on high fire when and if needed then cycle down to low fire till saisfied giving longer cycle times. 2 stage stat better choice. new thermostat wire may be needed.

i gotta learn to type with more than 1 finger!!!