Copeland 6D compressor

Wanting to know if you can screw an angle valve into the oil plug hole for clean up oil changes on a 6D compressor. I heard you can drill and tap the original oil plug but was wondering if anyone has put an angle valve in these.

Did you not like the answeres already given to you in the Comm. HVAC section????http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=818202

Why do you need to drill a hloe in it anyway????Mabey if your more clear your question will be answered more easily...here is a pick ....again of the henry angle valve...It works believe me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry I guess I did not know I was not clear. Carlyle compressors have an oil drain plug that you can pull out and install a simple angle valve for oil changes that you just need thread compound to seal. Depending on the core sometimes an adapter is required with the angle valve. I saw your Henry valve but it does not go in the oil plug hole. The compressor has a low pressure cap tube from either a gage or for the oil pressure switch did not look at it that close yet on the access where you said to install it. This Copeland has a huge oil plug. I put post on Commercial hvac and got mixed feedback on valves and adapters. It appears that the plug uses a gasket not mpt threads for seal.

It does use a copper gasket for sealing.

I see that you have 2 choices.

Buy an 1 3/8" socket and a large breaker bar to remove the plug. It is very easy with the correct tools.

Install the service valve with the dip tube. I've never used that method to change oil, but it seems that it would work well.

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Sorry I guess I did not know I was not clear. Carlyle compressors have an oil drain plug that you can pull out and install a simple angle valve for oil changes that you just need thread compound to seal. Depending on the core sometimes an adapter is required with the angle valve. I saw your Henry valve but it does not go in the oil plug hole. The compressor has a low pressure cap tube from either a gage or for the oil pressure switch did not look at it that close yet on the access where you said to install it. This Copeland has a huge oil plug. I put post on Commercial hvac and got mixed feedback on valves and adapters. It appears that the plug uses a gasket not mpt threads for seal.
    Maybe it is me....but on a Copeland the oil plug,like JP said is 1-3/8 the Henry valve as pictured has 1/4 mpt x1/4 x1/4 flare one w/ shreader and the other w/out....this is where the oil cap tube goes....the other will get capped until you want to drain the oil...the crankcase being under press. will push out the oil when the angle valve is opened,and because the dip tube is at the bottom of the sump,it will push out all the oil.

Myself,unless the compressor is not operational....I would simply install a guage hose on the oil pump gauge access port...and push out the oil into an oil container and dispose of...then pumper down to 0psig and open 'er-up and clean screen or what ever you need to do....so sorry i'm not familure w/anyone that has drilled and tapped one....some people may disagree w/this practice because you are running the comp. w/out oil...but i feel that there is an oily sheen already on the pistons and you are only running the compressor for a very short time....I have never had a problem yet.

I hope this helps....

Depending on the units location, sometimes you can't get a bucket underneath it. You gotta have some way to control the flow coming out. Made some good messes doing that.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    Depending on the units location, sometimes you can't get a bucket underneath it. You gotta have some way to control the flow coming out. Made some good messes doing that.
    I use alum. basting pans to direct the flow of oil into a bucket. Works OK.

i got this flexible funnel thing from NAPA with the intent of using it for compressor oil changes. haven't had time to try it out yet. Its a 6"x 16" or so sheet of lead encased in rubber. bend it to whatever shape you want.

Quote Originally Posted by pherman View Post
    I use alum. basting pans to direct the flow of oil into a bucket. Works OK.

Works like a charm!