Is Venting A Garage of Hot Air Effective

Hello again,

First off, I am posting an odd question here because I have no idea where else to place it, so please forgive me.

We live in a 2-story that has the infamous bedroom over the garage that can never quit get comfortable in the summer and winter. In the winter we fire up a little space heater when necessary and it woks fine. In the summer, it is a different story. Our home faces south and a metal garage door doesn't help even though it's insulated. I have read online about systems where an exhaust fan is either positioned in the roof (we would be able to do this in our third-car bay where there is no living space above) or high on an exterior wall and a vent for air to move into the garage is positioned low on an opposite exterior wall. The exhaust fan runs off a thermostat. My only concern with a system like this is, how is water kept out?

If anyone knows of a professional in the Kansas City area who does good work in something like this, I am all ears.

Thanks.

TJ

I kind of doubt this setup you are thinking about will help. Is the temp in the garage much hotter than outside? Are there combustion appliances in the garage?

Quote Originally Posted by stvc View Post
    I kind of doubt this setup you are thinking about will help. Is the temp in the garage much hotter than outside? Are there combustion appliances in the garage?
    This is a good approach if there are no gas burning appliances as mentioned. Insulating would be a better alternative and window tinting. A heat load calc for that room is in order. Being over the garage may be only part of your problem.

How is conditioned air transmitted to the space above the garage?
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM