Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier TXV Conversion

Ive done this conversion before on Trane Voyager units, but never seen it done on Carrier Units. This would seem like a less expensive way then paying a couple hundred for the header replacement......which is a pain in the a55 to replace. This particular unit was a straight cool with recip compressors. 50TJ-012-611

Thats pretty cool , but it doesnt look like there is a distributer / nozzle in there , just a header with 5/16 or 3/8 branch tubes. Not as good of flow there. You really need the nozzle with a txv.

The 50TJ , oh one could talk for a while about that unit..

Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post
    Thats pretty cool , but it doesnt look like there is a distributer / nozzle in there , just a header with 5/16 or 3/8 branch tubes. Not as good of flow there. You really need the nozzle with a txv.

The 50TJ , oh one could talk for a while about that unit..
    Yep looks like the top of the coils would be warmer than the bottom making it inefficient .
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

What a thorn in the eye. Forget about the improper TXV conversion craps. Just look at those motors leads hanging. Where the heck is the professionalism?

30 years from now, this guy will say "i've done a/c work for more than 30 years".

Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    What a thorn in the eye. Forget about the improper TXV conversion craps. Just look at those motors leads hanging. Where the heck is the professionalism?

30 years from now, this guy will say "i've done a/c work for more than 30 years".
    yeah im goin back tomorrow to do some repairs...gonna fix alot of that b.s. Also have alot of capacitors to mount correctly. RCB was there.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Yep looks like the top of the coils would be warmer than the bottom making it inefficient .
    your prob. right...the unit was running a good spilt and decent superheat....but it was about 78 degrees on that roof...kinda interested to see how its gonna operate when its 125 on the roof, but it has been running like that for a couple years now.

its not the prettiest finish but it will work, found this to be a pretty common problem on carrier package units usually around 10 years old.i had a few customers that were cheap they wouldn't replace the unit so we installed a txv and a distributor to feed each line of the evaporator

Quote Originally Posted by ocd View Post
    its not the prettiest finish but it will work, found this to be a pretty common problem on carrier package units usually around 10 years old.i had a few customers that were cheap they wouldn't replace the unit so we installed a txv and a distributor to feed each line of the evaporator
    how long did it take you to complete the conversion? Was it a Heat Pump or Straight cool unit?
    RTFM!!!

it was a straight cooling unit,i had it up and running in about 3 hours,i had all the necessary parts in my truck

i went to carrier distributor some years ago , i talked to their tech support person and he told me don't buy a new header cuz in a 6 months they will probably get blocked again .he suggested using a txv and distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by ocd View Post
    i went to carrier distributor some years ago , i talked to their tech support person and he told me don't buy a new header cuz in a 6 months they will probably get blocked again .he suggested using a txv and distributor.
    well today i did a compressor replacement on a 50TJ 012 with recip. compressors. Found 6 of 10 circuirts restricted. im gonna do the txv conversion. im having a hard time finding a distributor though. im thinking about callin sporlan tomorrow. where did you find your distributor?
    RTFM!!!

i used 2 distributors ,each had 5 or 6 branches, i got them from goodman distributor

So i did decided to do my own version on a Carrier straight cool unit. Originally i found the compressor shorted to ground. Installed new compressor charged the unit and found 3 of 10 orifices plugged up. So my manager let me try this conversion. Talked to Sporlan and they helped me on picking the distributor, distributor line size and expansion valve . Ended up working ok once i got the unit going. 12 superheat - 10 subcooling

RTFM!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast