Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The young guys

Hmm Naw

I worked for my dad once. He was the HNIC. He treated me like crap. I asked him why he treated me that way? He said he expected more from me, his son. Than the guys working for him.

Outside rep:

I would go back and change the post where you talked about that guy being a drug head etc. if I were you. You do not want to lose your job I would not think from being careless on this board and slandering a certain person. Maybe one of the moderators could help us out here.

Crap I wouldn't want to be young again. I'm 60 and almost ready to play. I made some dough in this business. I have some investments that will allow me to travel were ever I want to go. So far this year it is Baltimore in 2 weeks, Denver in Oct. to see Bro. Spotts. Belize in February. I have my own private cabin up in the mountains. I want for nothing. My house is paid for.

My health is pretty damn good. Exercise every morning. I weight the same as I did when I got married 38 years ago. All 4 of my kids are grown up. 2 grandchildren . They are all productive members of society and college graduates.

I would say I have been pretty fortunate for a long long time. Why would I want to trade this to be young again? I ain't throwing in my hand I'll play these cards.

[Edited by benncool on 08-11-2005 at 02:45 PM]

Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by outside rep
    [B]

wich make the wife more happy = I get some more HeHe ;-)
    everyone is happy

Now this young man has spoken wisdom for all guys to take note of!!!
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Originally posted by outside rep
    thats 80,000 between the both of us not just me
    I only make 30,000 plus commsion, plus 700 month expences

If I do what I am supposed to $1.6 million next year in

PM, IAQ, and service I will make six figures

But with the some of the new work I have been hunting
    at

Tyco, Penn State, Frito Lay, and Foot Locker

that will be easy to get

Tyco spends 33 million on there buildings every year in our area I figure 10% from them there is only four companys that bid work to them and were the only NON UNION one so I get all the small stuff and a few of the big jobs
    just have to bug them alot for it but its worth it

Penn State dosnt have enough contractors to do the work so
    by default you XXXXX amount just becuase just have to bug them alot. Just up there today in State College to drop of a bid for a Duct cleaning down in Philly for them I am bidding against TRANE (wich pissed me off since were a TRANE dealer) thats 100,000.00 plus job plus any change orders wich should put in the range of 150-175 by the time where done. Trane wont get it since they have to sub all the work out and we have done all there duct cleaning for the past five years regardless of our price almost.

and all the hanover companys are there just sitting for the picking since theres no real Mech Contractor down there

and Foot locker is all but accross the street from the office and know one has ever called on them before ???

along with all the small stuff that gets called in every day from our addvertising and amazing work we do

So that number should be easy to excede
    Hey rep , the company I work for has equipt @ Tyco and Penn State. I frequent them both . Tyco is actually my contract.I know the boss's @ each place. Drop me an e-mail sometime I may be able to help you out a little.

Been in trade since '97 (8 years this Oct.)

Still single

320 pounds when I should be 200

Moved half way across country 5 years ago to be closer to siblings, which only resulted in me being taken advantage of (and still feeling like an un accepted puppy) [Does this explain 320 pounds when I should be 200?]

No house of my own, I don't even like it here enough to invest in one.

Also, instead of living at fast food joints and putting more and more wieght on (my belly pops the buttons on my work uniform for cying out loud) I would have put that money into the bank and/or bought something I actually have to SHOW. (Again, a lot of this is from depression)

Now that I actually have extra money for my pocket, I am getting my dental work taken care of. After that it's new truck tires on my personal pickup. After that, it's probably going to have to be a new computer since mine is running like crap.

After that, I think it's going to be save save save, then moving back home. (unless some miracle comes up and I do meet someone, but I doubt that's going to happen) THEN, it's time to tell family off like I should have 1 years ago.

Hopefully then, I will live happily ever after.

When I graduated high school in 1996, I would look forward thinking that was going to be MY life right now. Why the hell it did not happen that way is still beyond me. It ticks me off just thinking about it.

CT, may I offer some thoughts for you in addition to what others here have said.

First of all, I will come right out and say that there is only one person in the entire world that can change the course of your life to your liking, and that is YOU. I'm sure you've been told this more than once, but it is worthy of repeating.

I understand what depression can do to a person. I've dealt with bouts of it myself. I've had friends who've struggled with this and I have a wife who deals with mild depression. One of my friends was not able to overcome his substantially more severe depression and he is sadly no longer among the living. Depression is an insiduous thing, but I've come to believe that in many cases like yours, a change not only in circumstances but in one's self-determination can give that depression a hard time.

The thing you need to get a taste of is how wonderful it is when you begin, to quote jazz musician Ronny Jordan, to "Get to grips and handle your soul". Actually, he says, "I've got a story that's never been told, get to grips and handle your soul." I've listened to that song many times because it's got a pretty cool groove, but it wasn't long ago I actually stopped and paid attention to what the lyrics were saying. To me he's telling me that my life is a story that's never been told, and that if I get to grips, I can have a big hand in how that story unfolds and is told to whomever cares to listen.

"Feel the rush and the buzz of your life in your own hands 'cause, I know I was...wondering why the brother was shooting from the hip when he hadn't got to grips."
    More from that song "Get To Grips". Now, having pretty much laid it out the notion that your life firmly in your hands is a good thing, you may be thinking, "Sure, but how do I do that? Look where I'm at now vs. what you and others are talking about or doing." Well, all I can say that if you have any smarts to you, once you find yourself directing your energy toward change vs. pouting about lack of change, you'll be AMAZED what happens to you and your life. I'm not jumping your case here, CT, I'm just stating a fact. Right now I see a lot of your energy (as apparent by what you often post) directed toward self pity. I'll be honest with you, self pity never got me ANYWHERE. All it does is temporarily makes you feel better because at least SOMEBODY in the world has pity on you, even if it's just yourself!

Every good and lasting change that has happened in my life has come about because I got off my butt and did something to make it happen. It wasn't easy, but the things you really want in life seldom do come easy, and if they did you'd likely not appreciate them all that much.

You won't find a woman by sheer luck...at least a woman you want to live with for the rest of your life and mother your children. You find a woman by making yourself someone SHE wants to live with the rest of her life and father her children. Women love a self confident man, but not a cocky one. You don't have to look like Brad Pitt, but if you get into decent shape, it shows a woman that you respect yourself enough that she won't have to worry about you for that reason (lack of self respect, poor health, etc.). A decent woman does not want to be attached to a man that is nothing but an ongoing downer. If you are able to make her life better for being in her life than if you're not, you're on the right track.

In essence, what you have to offer a decent woman is more important in attracting her to you than what she has to offer you. If you do that, what you get from her is icing on the cake.

Now, some nuts n' bolts unsolicited advice ( I realize my entire post is unsolicited advice, so I thank you for your forbearance)...get your own place! You sound like you're making positive moves to turn your finances around. If your own place is nothing more than a garage apartment in an older but stable neighborhood, then go for it. You'll begin to build a higher sense of self sufficiency by being directly responsible for keeping a roof over your head.

Basically, begin taking small steps (although getting your own place may seem like a big one!) toward feeling like the reins of your life are firmly in your hands and not subject to the fickle whim of circumstance and other people. Yes, other people and circumstance will temper and alter your determination and direction, but don't let all that derail you and send you back into pity party mode. You'll never break loose that way.

I know I've said a lot, but I'll tell you these are things I've come by via first hand experience or from seeing friends of mine suffer worse. I think you have a hell of a good shot at this if it sinks into your head that YOU are worth it! I know a man who was much more overweight than you, and was completely down in the dumps. One day he become fed up with it and start a turnaround. What he did was so stunning, the local news media picked up his story. He lost over 300 pounds (he weighed around 525 before he started) to where he could play basketball again and have fun. The more he worked at it, the better he felt about himself, and the harder he worked to push on toward what he wanted for himself.

Good momentum, I call it. After a time he met a nice woman and got married. When you talk with this guy, his energy and zeal for life is impossible to resist...you get keyed up just hearing his story. Yet this is the same fellow who not all that long ago was on a road to major health problems and could easily give over to major depression and possibly suicide as he got older.

What made the difference? He "got to grips and handled his soul".
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Originally posted by condenseddave
    I'd personally love to be 18 again, and starting fresh in this trade.

We have a LOT more available (and often FREE) training materials and resources available to us since the internet became a household thing.

I expounded the **** out of this here 3-4 years ago, but, in short, the training I received at that age was insufficient, IMO, to prepare me for what I now face.

I learned a lot of what I know at Hard Knocks U, and what book learning I got, came directly out of my pocket.

ould I want to start over now? No. Would I like to roll back to 18, and have available to me what I currently do, then start over? Absoeffinglutely.

Mega Ditto's

Originally posted by benncool
    Crap I wouldn't want to be young again. I'm 60 and almost ready to play. I made some dough in this business. I have some investments that will allow me to travel were ever I want to go. So far this year it is Baltimore in 2 weeks, Denver in Oct. to see Bro. Spotts. Belize in February. I have my own private cabin up in the mountains. I want for nothing. My house is paid for.

My health is pretty damn good. Exercise every morning. I weight the same as I did when I got married 38 years ago. All 4 of my kids are grown up. 2 grandchildren . They are all productive members of society and college graduates.

I would say I have been pretty fortunate for a long long time. Why would I want to trade this to be young again? I ain't throwing in my hand I'll play these cards.

[Edited by benncool on 08-11-2005 at 02:45 PM]
    Bennie, I hear you. Although you'll possibly be tempted to say "You're just a baby" when I state my age as 43 (I heard that all the time from older folks on my last job when my birthday rolled around), I also would not like to go back and start over again. Only way I would is if I could retain everything I've learned, experienced, and gained up to this point in life but have the younger body (with more hair on top!).

As you say, I also exercise often and my health is good...damn good for a middle aged man. I feel fortunate and thankful to God as well and I can say with confidence that compared to my twenties, life really does begin after forty!
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I wish I was young and still in school.

Maybe I would get a sweet teacher to take advantage of me
    like I'm seeing all over the news everyday.

Yeah, that'd be cool.

I can't believe that they're arresting these women.

Yeah, that'd be cool.

Switch genders and see what happens. A male teacher would get life in prison if he messed with a 13 yo girl.

Now if these female teachers want to sexually assult 60 yo air conditioning contractors when they are on service calls at the schools than that would be a different story.

[Edited by benncool on 08-12-2005 at 08:36 AM]

Originally posted by benncool
    Yeah, that'd be cool.

Switch genders and see what happens. A male teacher would get life in prison if he messed with a 13 yo girl.

Now if these female teachers want to sexually assult 60 yo air conditioning contractors when they are on service calls at the schools than that would be a different story.

[Edited by benncool on 08-12-2005 at 08:36 AM]

It would have to be a school for the blind!

Bring two popcicle sticks and some tape just in case of E D
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vmc1161
    [i]
    It would have to be a school for the blind!

Bring two popcicle sticks and some tape just in case of E D
    They make GOOD drugs now a days! That's why I don't mind being 60.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast