Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Help! AC Problems Capacitor? Contactor?

Installed a new capacitor last week and the air would come on sparringly. The capacitor is different from the one that was bad, a plastic grey one with a lip that fits into the hole of the rheem unit. The new one is a protech 55/5-mf 370v. The new capacitor reads 55 mf and 4.7 mf when checked. I'm getting 242 volts to contactor when testing L1 and L3 and when I engage the starter bar T1 and T3 reads 242 volts, turning the fan and compressor on. I cleaned the contactor with contactor spray. What am I overlooking?

You need to call someone that knows what they are doing. Be careful-you can get hurt.
    Blue Fox

The old capacitor and the new one are the same mf and volts. I discharged the capacitor and tested after removing the disconnect box switch.

Could be several things. Control Board, Contactor, T-stat, etc. How do you know the previous capacitor was bad?

Zero T......
    The Herm side read 51 mf when tested on the old dual capacitor. I also checked the T stat by doing a resistance test and it checked out.

I would like to help you further, but unfortunately have to follow the rules of the forums. To receive further help please apply for pro membership and we will be glad to assist you.

You may have a weak coil or pitted contacts. I would suggest calling a pro rather than keep throwing money at it. You may eventually fix it, but at what cost? If you're unfamiliar with the operation of the system, it's best left to the pros that know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupard View Post
    What am I overlooking?

the site rules.

with the info you gave no one here could give the correct answer even if allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupard View Post
    Installed a new capacitor last week and the air would come on sparringly. The capacitor is different from the one that was bad, a plastic grey one with a lip that fits into the hole of the rheem unit. The new one is a protech 55/5-mf 370v. The new capacitor reads 55 mf and 4.7 mf when checked. I'm getting 242 volts to contactor when testing L1 and L3 and when I engage the starter bar T1 and T3 reads 242 volts, turning the fan and compressor on. I cleaned the contactor with contactor spray. What am I overlooking?
    So the problem wasn't the capacitor. Only 35 parts to go

Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    right on

Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    He probably got the wrong capacitor, just a plain one. He likely needed the FLUX CAPACITOR....

A common mistake I think.

Quote Originally Posted by davenet View Post
    He probably got the wrong capacitor, just a plain one. He likely needed the FLUX CAPACITOR....

A common mistake I think.
    I've made that same mistake and overpaid for one of those flux-capacitors. They do pack quite a punch though. 1.21 Gw! Jumped R to G and my unit disappeared! Lucky for me, it appeared one minute later and the clock on the ignition board was exactly one minute ahead of mine!

Good to know weve got some comedians around here!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast