Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 15
  1. #1

    Confused Help! AC Problems Capacitor? Contactor?

    Installed a new capacitor last week and the air would come on sparringly. The capacitor is different from the one that was bad, a plastic grey one with a lip that fits into the hole of the rheem unit. The new one is a protech 55/5-mf 370v. The new capacitor reads 55 mf and 4.7 mf when checked. I'm getting 242 volts to contactor when testing L1 and L3 and when I engage the starter bar T1 and T3 reads 242 volts, turning the fan and compressor on. I cleaned the contactor with contactor spray. What am I overlooking?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Beach
    Posts
    641
    You need to call someone that knows what they are doing. Be careful-you can get hurt.
    Blue Fox

  3. #3
    The old capacitor and the new one are the same mf and volts. I discharged the capacitor and tested after removing the disconnect box switch.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,291
    Could be several things. Control Board, Contactor, T-stat, etc. How do you know the previous capacitor was bad?

  5. #5
    Zero T......
    The Herm side read 51 mf when tested on the old dual capacitor. I also checked the T stat by doing a resistance test and it checked out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,291
    I would like to help you further, but unfortunately have to follow the rules of the forums. To receive further help please apply for pro membership and we will be glad to assist you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    983
    You may have a weak coil or pitted contacts. I would suggest calling a pro rather than keep throwing money at it. You may eventually fix it, but at what cost? If you're unfamiliar with the operation of the system, it's best left to the pros that know.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    burlington county n.j.
    Posts
    9,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupard View Post
    What am I overlooking?


    the site rules.


    with the info you gave no one here could give the correct answer even if allowed.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupard View Post
    Installed a new capacitor last week and the air would come on sparringly. The capacitor is different from the one that was bad, a plastic grey one with a lip that fits into the hole of the rheem unit. The new one is a protech 55/5-mf 370v. The new capacitor reads 55 mf and 4.7 mf when checked. I'm getting 242 volts to contactor when testing L1 and L3 and when I engage the starter bar T1 and T3 reads 242 volts, turning the fan and compressor on. I cleaned the contactor with contactor spray. What am I overlooking?
    So the problem wasn't the capacitor. Only 35 parts to go

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    tallahassee,fl
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    So the problem wasn't the capacitor. Only 35 parts to go
    right on

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    So the problem wasn't the capacitor. Only 35 parts to go
    He probably got the wrong capacitor, just a plain one. He likely needed the FLUX CAPACITOR....

    A common mistake I think.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by davenet View Post
    He probably got the wrong capacitor, just a plain one. He likely needed the FLUX CAPACITOR....

    A common mistake I think.
    I've made that same mistake and overpaid for one of those flux-capacitors. They do pack quite a punch though. 1.21 Gw! Jumped R to G and my unit disappeared! Lucky for me, it appeared one minute later and the clock on the ignition board was exactly one minute ahead of mine!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mich
    Posts
    90
    Good to know weve got some comedians around here!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event