This is my 1st installation after getting my EPA certificate. I'm trying to connect a Frigidaire 4 ton condenser unit, 3/8" liquid line and 7/8" suction line, to a horizontal furnace that has a label rated for 4 ton evap. However, the pre-existed plumbing lines through the walls are 3/8" liquid line and 3/4" suction line (instead of 7/8"). Will this unit function normally if I use a reducer 7/8" to 3/4" on the suction line? My other thought was to return the 4 ton for a 3 ton condenser unit which has the 3/4" suction line. Also, I have not purchased the evap coils yet.

Well, is that hvac_TIM as in Tim the Toolman???
    Cause, he always says... bigger is better!

But, on a serious note... you should always follow the manufactures installation instructions.

Second, it seems pretty obvious that you have no clue as to what size unit you really need. So, I suggest you do a load calc on your home to size the unit accordingly.

Then, based on the load calculation you can choose your size of equipment.

Size ?

Size the condensor by the heat gain, size the line set by mfg. spec's.
    well atleast your using a reduction cuppling, but wait you could just crimp it down and fill the gap.

Second, it seems pretty obvious that you have no clue as to what size unit you really need. So, I suggest you do a load calc on your home to size the unit accordingly.

This is my 1st installation after getting my EPA certificate.

I dont know where or how you got the epa cert , but if you were to read the installation manual that comes with the unit you bought and compair that to what you read to get the epa cert you will find that there is much more to installing your own unit than getting an epa cert

Will this unit function normally if I use a reducer 7/8" to 3/4" on the suction line? My other thought was to return the 4 ton for a 3 ton condenser unit which has the 3/4" suction line. Also, I have not purchased the evap coils yet.

what the others have said ! you dont determine the size of the unit your house needs by the size of the suction line and/or the liquid line

Plumbing fittings are for plumbing
    copper fittings fit on copper pipe
    refrigeration tubing is sized differently and plumbing fittings are not USUALLY used

you are putting alot into this diy project arent you?

There is so much wrong with this thread...

But to answer your orignial question yes it will probably work. You will have some capacity loss but good oil return. lol

I have never seen a case were you can just drop a full ton in a house like it's no big deal. It is either sized correctly or it is not...start there.

Good luck
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

The size of the fittings on the evap and cond. do not mean any thing line sizes are determined by tonnage and length of pipe run.

why are you guessing about the size of the unit
    return the 4 ton for a three ton. do you have any idea of what size you need. whatwas the size of the unit that was in there before. call a pro and have it done properly

Response

Well, I'll contact the home builder to get the size of the units they are using for other new homes with the same plan & square footage. This will save me from having to purchase the calculation software and guessing the type of insulation my house is rated at. I think the builder installs 3 ton units for other homes. If so, why is the label on the furnace (fan) rated for 4 ton? How do I make the adjustment to bring the fan down to 3 ton rated coils. Fyi... I'm not a hvac professional, but I'm a tool man with strong mechanical & electrical background where I can handle this type of home improvement project with some advise.