I'm looking to replace the furnace in a house I'm moving into. I've noticed that every time someone asks a question about Brand X vs. Brand Y, the answer is - "they're all similar - the important thing is the install."

So how do you gauge the quality of the install when you're shopping around? I've had three different companies visit so far. Two spent quite a bit of time looking around and going over the options and prices. The third salesman bolted through the house like it was on fire and told me he'd email me the quote (that was last Friday and I haven't heard back). No one did any heat-loss calculations, although the first company measured all the windows and directions they were facing (but not the exterior walls, ceiling heights, and no inquiries about insulation).

The two quotes I've received so far are comparable in price.

Do I get another couple of quotes? What do I look for? Is anyone going to do a heat loss calculation or do I have to ask? Both the companies that quoted are service companies (big franchise/chains). Do they typically do quality installs? They both say they don't sub the work out - it's all in-house installers.

I'd very much appreciate any help or insights...

G

Remember it is your $$$ and your property, so call the companies back (if you fell comfortable with them) and tell that you want a load done , this will verify their suggestions for the job..or call some other contractors and tell them before they come out what you require..This will give them a heads up and not waste your time and thiers.. On the quality of the install issue... references-spend a little time going to see recent work (a company's best salesmen are the past installs and thier customers), then if you fell that if your install did not meet your expectations, you have something to compare it to...Good Luck.........

H.O. Heating & A/C Contracting

Originally posted by gmonkey
    No one did any heat-loss calculations, although the first company measured all the windows and directions they were facing (but not the exterior walls, ceiling heights, and no inquiries about insulation).

A. What do I look for?

B. Is anyone going to do a heat loss calculation or do I have to ask?
    A.1. Length of Service in the local market
    2. Promptness of responses
    3. Any changes in firm ownership
    4. Ask for references
    5. Call references and ask about
    satisfaction and equipment operation.

B.1. Your responsibility is to independently assure yourself that the equipment size is appropriate.

ASK or I actually mean
    Demand heat loss calc.

I believe that manufacturers can be Quality rated.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I'll definitely have a heat loss calc done and check references. It's tough to sort everything out - after all, most folks don't buy a furnace every day

Thanks for your suggestions.

Experience

Take the time to call and talk to refrences. Experience is what you are looking for.

Originally posted by gmonkey
    Two spent quite a bit of time looking around and going over the options and prices.

No one did any heat-loss calculations, although the first company measured all the windows and directions they were facing (but not the exterior walls, ceiling heights, and no inquiries about insulation).

Is anyone going to do a heat loss calculation or do I have to ask?
    E-mail me at racingdan11 at comcast.net if you wish to pursue a Manual J calc.

You'll need a drawing of residence with window sizes/spec
    & ceiling/wall insulation and house orientation.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities