I've never had the oppertunity to install one of these until the other day.

American standard 90% furnace with a A/S heat pump attached to that. The wiring actually went pretty easy, came with a great schematic.

Anyway the problem... When I run it in cooling or heating (when the heat pump is running) the blower comes on right away as it should. But when switched to Em heat when only the furnace should be running, the blower comes on at the same time as the draft inducer. The outside unit doesn't come on, so I'm pretty sure everything is wired right. I'm just stumped why the furnace doesn't do it's normal startup.

I also can't recall what fossil fuel kit it was, but I'm pretty sure it was a BAY#### if that helps any.

dump the fossil fuel kit and use a Vision Pro Tstat, then set the blower to not energize on a call for backup heat but to use the board on the furnace to energize the fan. Vision Pro will simplify matters considerably. Hate the A/S fossil fuel kit.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Ditto.

It's likely the heat pump stat you chose not the dual fuel kit doing the fan immedialy in em heat.

Great answer! For some odd reason I never thought about the stat making the blower go. Last night I woke up thinking about this (I know, I need to stop that), the schematic showed a jumper going from G3 to G1 if the furnace didn't activate the blower itself. I'm 99% sure there wasn't one there.

Unfortunately we use Braeburn t-stats. Guess I can't say much bad about them (other than possibly this case), but I just don't like them at all. Thier reason is if they want a programable all they have to do is change the face, home owners like them because they're easy to use, but probably the biggest is it's one of the cheapest stats out there lol.

So, if this system is left like this what will happen? I know the HX won't heat up as fast as it would with the blower off, but it shouldn't really cause any problems like corrosion inside the HX should it?

Shouldn't be a problem. Most furnaces when you run the fan constantly just keep it running during furnace warmup. Same thing.

Won't cause any real problems that I can think of. No different than running a full time fan. Heat will take a little longer to get up to temp.

"BaldLoonie" ya beat me to the punch. LOL

[Edited by Black Adder on 08-10-2005 at 10:34 PM]
    "Go big or Go Home"