Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OK guys I turned 40 a couple of years ago and struggled thru it, now as I cruise at warp speed thru my forties, I think I have just about had it with the same thing day in and day out. I am ready for something DIFFERENT, this is what I have been thinking about and wonder if it is possible. Dont most of the big boats and yachts down in Florida or wherever south is have AC on them, where do these big boats go for service? Do they wait at some Marina for weeks to be serviced or could a guy trade in his service truck for say a service boat and make any money servicing boats and yachts, hell you could even do some houses on the canals. Any body from Florida doing stuff like this or should I just hit the drive thru for another 12 pack.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

I turn down boat work because I don't want to spend 1/2 the day walking up and down a dock. If that was all I did then fine. The money is good but there is a boat culture out there that you better have a personality to stand. You get these rich A holes that think you were put on this earth to kiss their butt. They act like their boat is sinking because the A/c does not work and they want you right then because it is YOU that is keeping them at the dock. Then after you bust you butt here comes the typical cry baby antics that they are going to have to sale their 2 million dollar boat because of your repair bill.

I once had a service call to a tuna fishing boat docked in San Diego harbor. Call was to get all fan coils working properly, as boat used a chiller for a/c. Some of the fan coils were in impossibly tight quarters and it was a real PITA to change out this one cooling valve in the captain's cabin...took me a few tries to get it soldered up right.

I remember the crew treated me well...I was still a Navy reservist then. I was invited to the galley to eat lunch with the crew and will never forget eating the best tasting tuna of my life. Cook fished it right out of the ship's hold and cooked it up that day for the crew.

Boats like this that are in port are always buzzing with activity...they only have so much time to get things done before going to sea again. So if you find this kind of work (working boats and ships vs. yachts) you'll be stepping over a bunch of other yardbirds doing the same thing...hustling to get done so the boat can get underway.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Originally posted by James 3528
    Then after you bust you butt here comes the typical cry baby antics that they are going to have to sale their 2 million dollar boat because of your repair bill.
    I think the same applies to us doing work done on their homes.
    Get back to work.™

Try This

Cruisair Suncoast Inc
    3301 34th Av N, Saint Petersburg, FL 33713
    (727) 526-7875

http://www.cruisair.com

The last time I spoke to him he was doing very well (several years ago). The same thing can be said about Marine A/C techs as Marine mechanics, the honest ones are far and few between.
    I'm pretty confident that Cruisare is straight up.

I also believe that you can start a business with only a business license for where you live. Since most large boats are registered overseas then the Florida Contractors License is not required.

I don’t know much about the boat service business. I’ve only worked on two boats in my time and both were DX systems run off a generator.

I worked for a res/comm company that did alittle bit of the marine A/C stuff.....the European boats were sold without a refrigerate charge. Some of that stuff was pretty weird looking compared to the equipment we see every day.....and of course the white carpeting is just a killer. Oh...I almost forgot.....they all had bad attitude to go along with the white carpet.

if it's a midlife thing screw working for the boaters just go buy a vette

Originally posted by t527ed
    if it's a midlife thing screw working for the boaters just go buy a vette
    Come to think about it I have been craving a new Harley Ulta Classic lately, but I bet I could ride it a hell of a lot more in Sunny Florida than here in Ohio
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

In my area Cocoa beach ....lots of boats..yact clubs...I just never see the boats leave the dock...seems like they just leave them tied there.....but the have a/c's and salt air has to be hard on them...so sounds like a plan to me....Im 41 and I guess my mid life crises is getting into the a/c trade
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

We do a fair amount of marine service and it aint easy. Unless its a really big boat, working below in cramped spaces really sucks. Its hotter than hell, no working space.

If I was to go into business for myself fixing Marine A/C, I would only do jobs flat rate and I would be charging an arm and a leg.

what voltage is boat (yact)HVAC/R 12 24 110 ????
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Hey dog lips,I dont really know,but I would guess we are looking at a generator here.maybe 220/110

I also thought it would be great to work around marinas and service boats until I changed out a circuit board on a friend's boat. Like Cool said the cramped quarters suck. Of course I am not made for small places. 6' 4" 260lbs just don't work in those holds. It can also be God awful hot in there. Just my thoughts on the idea.
    Silence is golden - Duct Tape is Silver!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast