Thread: ruud achiever heat pump not cooling

Post Likes

ruud achiever heat pump not cooling

Ruud Achiever Heat pump does not cool sufficiently. I only get a fan. The heat pump is 5 years old. I get warm air. I am not sure if it is warm enough to heat my house in the winter. It is hard to tell.

Given current weather, I have the air on in the late afternoon and evening and I set the heat on in the morning. I am wondering if going back and forth may have blown something.
    2 years ago, I had issues and there was some kind of electrical issues that needed to be fixed on the out door unit. I have an aprilaire 5000 whole house air filter. I changed the filter last night in case this was causing the problem. No changes to cooling.

Also, where is the reset button the achiever? My last heat pump had a reset button.

I wanted to check on here before calling an HVAC. I have had to have service on my heating and air conditioning several times in the 7 years I have lived here. My last heat pump only lasted 6 years.

I turned the air conditioning on again and got a fan going. I went out back and did not see the out door unit running. Is this the compressor? Is there a reset button for this?

Post Likes
    if the outdoor unit isn't running then it's one of two things: an electrical issue, or it's off on a safety. Either way it's not something that the HO can take care of. You need to call a tech out.

Post Likes
    You need to call a pro tp determine what is happening (or not happaning) not something you can do on your own. Good luck

Post Likes
    Two questions. When was it last service and who is your regular servicing company? It's now May so your regular service company should already have contacted you for the annual servicing. Many folks believe regular service isn't necessary but nothing could be further from the truth. Give them a call and have them out to assist you with your needs.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    I use B&B in Herndon Virginia. They were last out 2 years ago to do a repair. Do I need service every year? I have a hunch it turned off because I went from hot to cold. That used to happen to me with my old heat pump. I would hit the reset button and the fan would start.

Problem is I can't find the reset button this new Ruud Achiever pump. I read through the manual and the troubleshooting guide and I do not see any indicator of a reset button.

Do I really need service? I have had to spend over $10,000 on service to heating and air conditioning since I moved in 7 years ago. One thing after another has broken. I just had it replaced 5 years ago.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by guessoso View Post
    I use B&B in Herndon Virginia. They were last out 2 years ago to do a repair. Do I need service every year? I have a hunch it turned off because I went from hot to cold. That used to happen to me with my old heat pump. I would hit the reset button and the fan would start.

Problem is I can't find the reset button this new Ruud Achiever pump. I read through the manual and the troubleshooting guide and I do not see any indicator of a reset button.

Do I really need service? I have had to spend over $10,000 on service to heating and air conditioning since I moved in 7 years ago. One thing after another has broken. I just had it replaced 5 years ago.
    It sounds like there is possibily a control issue(low voltage or safety control open) or an electrical issue. I would say yes, you really need a service call if you want to have A/C this summer. If there are high/low pressure cut-outs, the last thing you want to do is "reset" them. There is a reason why a safety device has opened, and if you reset the control, you may end up doing more damage to the unit. How many problems have you had with your new system that was installed 5 years ago? I don't think there is anything you're going to be able to do on your own. The best thing you can do is set up a service call to find out what is wrong with your unit. If you don't like/trust the diagnosis or the quoted repair price, you can always call a different company for a second opnion.

Post Likes
    If its only 5 yrs old then you need to get a service man out there ASAP before any possible warranty runs out. I'm not sure what kind of warranty Rheem has but I assume its a 5 yr parts warranty and 10 yr compressor. Can anyone clarify?

Post Likes
    call a pro

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in