Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Help--I had a local contractor install a Lennox 2-stage A/C (XC21), a new Lennox variable speed furnace (G61V), and an Arzel three zone system. The install was finished today (took about a week), and it is not working correctly. The system is short cycling every five minutes or so, and I can see the by lights on the Arzel panel that the compressor stage 1 and stage 2 lockout keeps turning on. I noticed that the installer put a bypadd damper directly on the top of the blower unit, bridging where there main trunk and main return emerge from the top of the furnace. this seems wrong to me. also, the pressure at the registers is like a wind tunnel--really no good at all. What can be done about this? Will the short cycling damage the new equipment? I have a service call in to the contractor, but what a bummer it is to have to place s service call for a brand new system...

thanks for the advice!

Larry Marchese

The service call is needed. You may have any number of setup type problems like an Leaving Air Temperature setting for the Arzel which locks out compressor operation when supply air temp. gets too low. Let the installer get a fresh look at the system so they can rectify the problem. We can only speculate unless several measurements can betaken and posted here.

Thank you. everything i have read suggests that the bypass damper needs to be located at teast a few feet from the air handler. the fact that the bypass damper is sitting right on top of the furnace leads me to think that the LAT temperature is way cold, causing the Arzel panel to stop the compressor...

The bypass dampers are often ducted into the near return due to ease of installation, but should not be. Since you have multistage heating and cooling with a variable speed blower, I am suprised the bypass is needed.

so am I. it wasn't there the first night we ran the system and the system worked fine; however, the installers came back to finish the job today and there it was. and now the system short cycles AND the pressure at the registers is way higher when the system actually runs. all this for 15K in cost... and this from a reputable lennox premier dealer.

A reputable dealer is known for their good work and famous for the way they handle mistakes. Give them an opportunity to make things right. I'll bet they don't want their name on a system that doesn't work properly.

agreed. my concern is that the equipment may be short cycling all weekend (two minutes on, 4 minutes off) and that this will damage the new equipment. is this possible? thanks for your replies.

ljm

Open the Arzel panel and look at the bottom left corner. There is a switch marked MPS (on/off) Turn this on. Turn off 2 of your zone thermostats and run the system with the largest zone's thermostat only. This defeats the zoning without rigging anything and should reduce the bypass air significantly.

ok--giving it a try. thanks for the advice.

ljm

i activated the MPS mode on the arzel panel as suggested, but still the unit is short cycling. I have an HVAC tech coming by in a couple of hours. My gut instinct is that the bypass damper has to be removed--it is creating a way too low temperature in the system, which is causing the unit to cycle. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the day I am running a one zone five ton system again...

well, the HVAC tech came by and didn't know his as fom his elbow (pardon my french). didn't believe me at first about the short cycling, and didn't even believe me when I showed him the compressor cut off LEDs that we're activated last night on the arzel panel. luckily (or not), the system began short cycling when he was here, and then he had the audacity to say he "found the problem": too small bypass damper!!! so, the system will continue to short cycle until monday, when another tech with the right equipment is available. I am not certain that these guys have the right equipment betwen their ears. and this is from the only "Lennox Premier Dealer" within 50 miles of me. geeesh. I can't even describe how disappointing it is to plop down 15K for a new system and to not have it work correctly from day one. Luckily, I have only given them the initial 1000 deposit, so they should be lots of incentive to "get it right." Otherwise, I am going to tell them to remove their equipment and I will try another dealer / brand... it shouldn't be this hard...

I was under the impression that Arzel system did not need a by-pass because the redesigned it for the variable speed stuff.I would call owner or salesman, Arzel has great support and I think and hope it is something easy.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

thanks heatpumpguru! I have sent an email to arzel tech support to try to get some info on this. I think the fellow is a regular contributer here.

LJM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast