Now and then I get a small ( on the weekend) split system install.This time, a neighbor of a previous job asks me to install a/c for his second floor. I said I would come over to take a look. Then he hits me with, " I work in the construction field and would it be o.k. to get the equipment myself and have you install it?"I have a bad feeling about this one.Just curious on what you think.

What do you want us to say? Side jobs, no permits, no insurance, and he buys the equipment, sounds like the perfect plan to me. If there were fewer people like you helping these guys maybe your boss could pay you more.

I'd walk away. Besides, I do this day-in & day-out. Why would I do it during my free time?
    WHY?

I tell them time and materials. I only warranty my work. If their equipment fails that between them and who they got it from. If they size it wrong or anything else goes wrong thats not my fault then it's their problem. What's the big deal. If you are worried you are loosing money because they didn't buy it from you, then charge them more on the hourly rate.

First he wants you to do it on the side....now he wants you to do it for nothing....how's that make you feel? Why dont you just buy it for him and put it in. Then he will PROBABLY really like you. Oh by the way Im sure he will brag to all his friends that you will put it in if they buy it themselves. Hell your out doing it on the side and your already having them try to get you to do it for nothing.......Im impressed most people go in business for themselves before they go broke, you just cut out about 20 steps of going into business for most companies, before they really loosing money. Something you might want to think about. Dont get into doing it for nothing, even if it is on the side . It just drags everyone else down to doing it cheap.Makes it harder for your Boss to give you a raise or more benefits.

[Edited by dec on 08-09-2005 at 09:09 PM]

I'm not into side work, but if I were in the position you described I would charge my normal price minus cost of equiptment.

If you do it for hourly wages be sure to wear your I'm a chump tee shirt and dunce cap.

We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Depends on how desperate you are.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Tell him to go to the fish market and get a pound of shrimp and take the pound of shrimp to Red Lobster and ask them to cook it.

Ask him if you can come along and eat some of the shrimp.

side jobs are a really sore subject here in this trade.

Especially when it is what your EMPLOYER is paying you to work for him to do .... five days a week already!

If your employer doesnt mind, sure ... go for it.

Now .... about this jerk buying his own equipment. No way!
    Ask him if he wants to buy the parts his dealership uses to make his car repairs.

Oh, oh .... how about when he goes to the doctor. Does he beg them to make a list of things they will need in order to treat him? Like gauze, swabs, HP, etc ...aspirin... and then offer to bring those items along with him when he shows up for the visit...

Or maybe he asks that his doctor visit is broken down into two separate visits. First one for diagnosis and second one for treatment.
    Inbetween visits, he goes online or to the library and reads up on the subject and then visits some friends who did some EMT work ... and picks up some tips on proceedures,etc., and is prepared himself to "help the doctor out" during the second phase of treatment.
    All jus to save his sorry butt some money....

If you give in, this guy is gonna weasel his-self into helping you do the job and THEN want part of the money knocked off the deal ... because you didnt do all the work you said you'd have to do...

Please pardon me while I go barff ..... I'll be right back.

Yep,I guess I'll just ask for some o.t.That guy can put in a few window units.Thanks.

Originally posted by heykiss
    Yep,I guess I'll just ask for some o.t.That guy can put in a few window units.Thanks.
    GOOD IDEA.....you know the part where you said YOU HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS ONE..........your learning. just remember you first instincks are usally correct. Dont be afraid to walk away from something that doesnt seem right.