Confused Trouble pumping down a system

Tried pumping down a Rheem unit 3 tons. Closed the high side and ran the compressor. Instead on the suction pressure going down, it went up and compressor got loud, went off on overload im thinking. Is this a sign on an overcharge? I was unable to get a high side reading on my gauge but the suction side went from about 50psi to 115psi.

So you were doing a passive recovery into a recovery tank?

heat pump.

is it a split system? how long is the line set? if you have a very long line set your not going to be able to pump down the entire charge into the condenser. pull out your recovery machine. then when you change whatever your going to change charge system back with recovery machine just as fast. easiest solution. also check if its a heatpump.

did you have the tsat calling for air? or did you manually push in the contactor? get your post count up and join the pros in the locked forums. this is not a diy site.

what happened after that? nobody can really do a good job of answering that question with that little information.

Quote Originally Posted by eric1589 View Post
    what happened after that? nobody can really do a good job of answering that question with that little information.
    Actually, what happened before that?

He said it never went down, only went up. But the suction didn't go real high. At least not high enough to be a heat pump.

Maybe it first went down, then liquid locked the condensor, tripped the IPR valve and then the pressure went up. How'd I do?

Steve, get your post count up to 15, and apply for pro membership. Once accepted, you can ask question like this in the pro forums, where they can be answered better.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    did you have the tsat calling for air? or did you manually push in the contactor? get your post count up and join the pros in the locked forums. this is not a diy site.

Hummm... I'll bet 5 Frogs on manually. (Can't say anymore, since this is an open area.) Something is different on a Ruud.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Home&Marine View Post
    Hummm... I'll bet 5 Frogs on manually. (Can't say anymore, since this is an open area.) Something is different on a Ruud.
    Ya Think?
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

try the king valve next time
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

That loud noise is the scrolls separating due to a high pressure difference. Pressures tried to equalize and that caused the suction pressure to rise. If you were trying to use just the compressor with no fan to pump down, thats probably why it went out so quickly. Odds are you'll have to close both valves and recover the rest.