Media Filter Size

Hi,

Would anybody be able to tell me if there are any size restrictions for the media filter if I go with the following YORK furnace?
    YPLC080B12MP12C - 80%AFUE, 80K btuh, Modulating, Variable Speed

The company that I have short listed has mentioned 16x25 media filter but I currently use a 20x25x1 filter on my existing equipment (Borg Warner). One would logically think that a greater surface area would offer less resistance for the return air path. Am I right here?

Also, if for some reason, I decide not to use the media filter, can I simply remove the cartridge and use the normal filters with the furnace? I mean, is the existence of the filter types mutually exclusive? - I know that this is a stupid question but you never know what happens if I end up renting my townhouse sometimes in the future. It is better that the renter at least uses the usual 1" filter than not use any at all.

Thanks in advance.

The opening on the side of the furnace is 14x24 so the 16x25 is fine. Once you put in a HE Media filter the 1" cheapos won't usually fit. Cheapos=2-3 mos. HE Media=12mos.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    The opening on the side of the furnace is 14x24 so the 16x25 is fine. Once you put in a HE Media filter the 1" cheapos won't usually fit. Cheapos=2-3 mos. HE Media=12mos.
    Thanks

You may also consider the 1" Elec Air filtration system as well, get a quote as it can be an excellent bang-for-the-buck. If you felt the need, you could then replace it with any 1" filter you desire (but I wouldn't recommend it)