Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    74

    Hmm Johnson FX20/60/70 Capacities + Integration

    Is there anyone who has extensive experience with these controllers? I was always curious to know how many controllers can be handled by each version of the FX Supervisory Controllers....although I'm sure the capacities are not based on controller count but more so on type of written programs as well as FX alarms, trends, etc. A majority of the field controllers will be controlling CW/HW/VFD-controlled AHUs and VAVs. One of the FX Supervisory Controllers will also be integrating to an existing Trane Summit System via BACnet IP (Chiller Plant, AHUs and VAVs) and possibly future Honeywell Spider Field Controllers via Lontalk.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by NightrainATC View Post
    Is there anyone who has extensive experience with these controllers? I was always curious to know how many controllers can be handled by each version of the FX Supervisory Controllers....although I'm sure the capacities are not based on controller count but more so on type of written programs as well as FX alarms, trends, etc. A majority of the field controllers will be controlling CW/HW/VFD-controlled AHUs and VAVs. One of the FX Supervisory Controllers will also be integrating to an existing Trane Summit System via BACnet IP (Chiller Plant, AHUs and VAVs) and possibly future Honeywell Spider Field Controllers via Lontalk.

    Thanks.
    By the way, the Johnson Field Controllers coming off of the FX Supervisory Controllers will be FEC BACnet Controllers.

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    497
    Generally, it's the bus that limits the number of controllers under a Jace.
    RealEyes
    Realize
    RealLies!




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by rad1 View Post
    Generally, it's the bus that limits the number of controllers under a Jace.
    Meaning what.....bus length or cable type? FYI...the bus cable will be 22awg, 3-conductor shielded for BACnet communication over the FC bus.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    497
    Some busses allow a fixed max. number of devices. With a Jace tho you can add a second or third network and increase the device count that way, or adding a router to your network may allow an increased count on a bus. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of an "absolute" number of controllers that a Jace could handle. You've mentioned some of the features that could add to that limit though,
    i.e., "written programs as well as FX alarms, trends, etc."
    RealEyes
    Realize
    RealLies!




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,427
    Quote Originally Posted by NightrainATC View Post
    ....the Johnson Field Controllers coming off of the FX Supervisory Controllers will be FEC BACnet Controllers.
    Is this a real job ...or a thought experiment?

    How are you gonna program the FECs?
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

    ...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    Is this a real job ...or a thought experiment?

    How are you gonna program the FECs?
    This is a real job. The FECs will be controlling AHUs, VAVs and Hot Water System equipment and will communicate to the FX Supervisory Controllers via BACnet MS/TP.

    I'm figuring it will be best to use FX Supervisory Controllers vs Johnson NAEs because I feel the future integration to existing 3rd party Honeywell LON Controllers will be much smoother using FX20/60/70 Controllers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,427
    Quote Originally Posted by NightrainATC View Post
    This is a real job.
    ...so, youre from a JCI branch ... or an ABCS?

    The FX will easily communicate to as many FEC as an NAE. What sort of unit load do FECs present on a MSTP bus? Same constraints for FX.

    we have FX60 that concurrently interfaces 5 different RS485 bus including modbus and Bacnet, SNMP, consumes RS232 strings from the fire system, and serves graphics for the site....and it still has capacity.

    How many devices do you need to communicate with
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

    ...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    ...so, youre from a JCI branch ... or an ABCS?

    The FX will easily communicate to as many FEC as an NAE. What sort of unit load do FECs present on a MSTP bus? Same constraints for FX.

    we have FX60 that concurrently interfaces 5 different RS485 bus including modbus and Bacnet, SNMP, consumes RS232 strings from the fire system, and serves graphics for the site....and it still has capacity.

    How many devices do you need to communicate with
    We are an ABCS but currently have access to both FX & Metasys Lines. I'm looking at around 450-500 FEC field controllers (400 of which are FEC VMA VAV Controllers and the others for AHUs and Hot Water System equipment control). I'm thinking 2 or 3 FX Supervisory Controllers would be needed....not sure if to go FX60 or FX70s.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Several Miles from Sane
    Posts
    1,443
    NightrainATC,
    Put some info in your profile please.

    While you're at it apply from pro membership. I know I would be more willing to assist in the pro forum.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

    All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by CCIKelly View Post
    NightrainATC,
    Put some info in your profile please.

    While you're at it apply from pro membership. I know I would be more willing to assist in the pro forum.
    CCIKelly,

    My profile has been updated, thanks. I will look into a pro membership but if you could provide any advice in this thread, it would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Near Philly
    Posts
    501
    I've got a site with 3200 points on a single FX60. The N2 bus is split in halve, on two different physical ports. I have the server software package doing the graphics and trending. The FX60 is maxed out. I have similar sites with 2300-2400 points and everything runs at a much lower level. So, the consumption is defiantly not linear.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by mechdorn View Post
    I've got a site with 3200 points on a single FX60. The N2 bus is split in halve, on two different physical ports. I have the server software package doing the graphics and trending. The FX60 is maxed out. I have similar sites with 2300-2400 points and everything runs at a much lower level. So, the consumption is defiantly not linear.
    Mechdorn,

    Thanks. This is the type of information I was looking for. I too will be implementing a FX Server so is it safe to use 1600 pts per trunk as a max guidline?

    At this time, we are used to using NAEs which have controller count limitations. Because this is a big facility which may require 4 to 5 FX Supervisory Controllers, I'm assuming we will use the RS-485 adapter for each FX Supervisory and run (2) BACnet MS/TP trunks per FX with repeaters as needed.....is this correct?

    Lastly, I will be bringing in existing Trane pts from (2) BCUs...approx a total of 600-800 pts...over BACnet IP into the FX Server. Also future Lontalk integration to approx (15) Honeywell Spider field controllers which would require a FX LON card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event