Quote Originally Posted by disston View Post
OK. That helps a bit about the liquid mystery. I'll be able to handle liquid I think.

I am replacing the condenser, new. The compressor, new. The accumulator/dryer, new. The hoses were flushed with Kwik Klean. The evap was flushed with the same. I used two quarts of flush. The hoses are in good condition. I got a lot of black debris out of stuff, especially the evaporator. All of this was done a week ago.

I'm going to take the system apart again to put in the stock orifice tube.

I'm going to check into getting some nitrogen but I may have to take my chances. I know this doesn't sound professional, I can't help it. I'm a little over whelmed at the moment. I'll see if I can get some nitrogen.

This is the fourth time I have tried to fix this system. I've gotten black stuff out of it every time. I know about black death. I never flushed the system before. I'm sure that helps. Might be the key I think. I bough a 4 cfm Robinair pump. In the past I've only had access to an antique pump that belongs to my housemate. The Robinair 15424 seems very strong but I don't have a Micron gauge. I figure 2 hours of pumping have got to be enough. And I would let it sit over night but I've been reading a lot on these pages and this now seems like a bad idea because the hoses will leak?
Don't feel too bad.

One very large chain uses (as of 2000) shop air instead of nitrogen to pressurize the system. No kidding.

Also, it is a common practice to observe the low side needle at 29.9" hg and let is sit there with the pump running for 30 mins. No micron gauge. I'll bet only one out of 5000 auto ac shops even owns a micron gauge.

Two hours and put the charge in. Obviously, you enjoy learning, and in some ways, you are already equaling what you would be paying for, as AC is not a "specialty" in the auto world.

When your charge is in and the system is running, you can spray a soapy solution on those hoses and connections, and bubbles in the sprayed areas will show you all leaks except for the evap, so that's a "process of elimination" for that component.