I want to replace my 20+ years old 5-ton AC system and furnace, and in the process would like to turn our first floor and second floor into two separate zones. There appear to be two choices: (1) create two separate systems, or (2) replace the current systems with an automatic zone control system such as the Lennox Harmony.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros or cons of either approach? Is automatic zone control riskier for retrofttting an existing system and ductwork?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2 seperate systems and zoning both have pros and cons.
    my own house i installed 3 zone harmony with 2 stage heat and cool with v drive blower. could not be happier. which way to go really depends on house and existing duct system, how hard to split for zoning,etc. biggest advantage to 2 systems is if 1 goes down you have other section of house to hide out while waiting for repairs. we have done houses both ways with excellent results. either way will make house more comfotable and cheaper to heat and cool. IF DONE RIGHT!!!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by t527ed
    2 seperate systems and zoning both have pros and cons.
    my own house i installed 3 zone harmony with 2 stage heat and cool with v drive blower. could not be happier. which way to go really depends on house and existing duct system, how hard to split for zoning,etc. biggest advantage to 2 systems is if 1 goes down you have other section of house to hide out while waiting for repairs. we have done houses both ways with excellent results. either way will make house more comfotable and cheaper to heat and cool. IF DONE RIGHT!!!

Ditto the above for comfort,etc..

I'd go zoning to avoid two,compressors,indoor fans/coils,and outdoor fans/coils, that need maintaining and replacing down the road.

Agree with what you have already been told. How you use the space in each zone should be considered as well. Personally I prefer the two system approach. Typically the smaller equipment requires smaller electrical service, smaller duct systems, and as noted earlier, provides you with redundancy by having a 'backup' system in place. I like the independent operation of each system, and the idea of doing maintenance on two systems rather than one was never an issue for me. Talk to the contractor that is going to install and be responsible for the system and get THEIR input and recommendations. Their comfort level with each way of providing your zoning is important to how the system ultimately is installed and operates.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

I'm a home-moaner with a two-zone Harmony II. It works well, especially with a heat pump.

Main problem with zoning, assuming your ductwork is suitable, is it uses a bunch of complex, sensitive, and noisy electronic voodoo to do its job. I have a closet full of relays. Also, no one except your dealer will be able to work on your system.

I wouldn't worry too much about reliablity if you don't have someone with a medical condition living there.

I'm also a home-owner and went with the Carrier Infinity zoned system. We love it and have never been this comfortable in our home. No matter which way you go (zoned or dual system it will be great) We went with a single system just because of the cost associated with installing two complete HVAC systems. I will add that some HVAC installers are not that great with zoned systems. Don't do like me and find out I was the first one that they have installed using a zoned system. :^(

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    You also are likely to oversize more with a two system job.

Each area will require X btus,and each unit will be Y btus more then needed,this is normal,but happens twice with two systems .

If you zone Infinity is tops,but consider two stage heating and cooling ,regardless of brand.It will do a better job.