Thread: Heat in Summer?

Post Likes
    I just had my baseboard heating extended into my new addition - can I turn up the heat now (in the summer) to see if it works properly? I know there is a problem with opening the A/C in the cold - but didn't know if there is a problem for baseboard heating in the summer. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Go ahead, shouldnt be a problem.

Post Likes

Help -

Put on a new addition over house (650 sq feet) to existing 2,250 sq feet house. Does all that extra baseboard heat push the existing boiler to its limits? I turned it on so that I can test it before I made my last payment and after an hour, I barely felt any heat on the baseboard heating pipe (on scale of 1 to 10, it was a 1). The temp may have gone up one degree. I was feeling bare pipe at some points and didn't feel a thing. After I turned it on, the boiler didn't fire (in the dark basement, I can usually see a flame and noise from the boiler when its going).

Was this installed incorrectly or is the boiler going to not operate well with that extra pipework? Should I not make the last payment? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Might have air in the pipes.

Just call the installing contractor, and inform him that it didn't heat. He'll probaly take care of it, as soon as he can.

Post Likes
    Check the rest of the system also. If piping was added there's probably air in the whole system. Every foot of babseboard puts out about 500 BTU of heat, you've probably added a few thousand BTU load to the boiler. No big deal, it's just run longer. Maybe in extreme cold weather, you might run a little short but many boilers are usually oversized for the house anyway. I hope you got the room well insulated, that's the biggest factor.

Post Likes

Re: Help -

Originally posted by mxylplik2
    After I turned it on, the boiler didn't fire (in the dark basement, I can usually see a flame and noise from the boiler when its going).

Was this installed incorrectly or is the boiler going to not operate well with that extra pipework? Should I not make the last payment? Thanks.
    to do the work, they probably had to drain the boiler. this means they probably turned off the power, extinguished the pilot light or both. check to make sure the power is on to the boiler and the pilot is lit if your boiler has one.

Post Likes
    Okay - outside temp around 53, I tried turning on the baseboard heat today (2 zones, upstairs/downstairs). I turned on the upstairs stat, heard some water sounds in the baseboard pipes in the upstairs bedroom. Went downstairs - didn't see the fire under the boiler as I ususally do (HydroTherm brand). Then I turn on the stat in the downstairs - same thing - no fire under the boiler. Hear like a water trickling sound in the boiler - copper pipes above the boiler are not warm at all. The gas switches in the wall by the stairs and by the boiler are in the "on" position.

I just spent some big bucks installing a new Carrier Infinity A/C system - hope I don't have to spend big bucks replacing the boiler! Please help. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Call the installer and have him make it right. You shouldn't need a new boiler.

Post Likes
    Your circulators are probably comming on, That's the sound you hear.

Post Likes
    I understand - circulators on - but boiler not firing up. Someone asked if I had a pilot light or if it is autoignition - what's the diff and what should I do in either situation? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Auto ignition lights the burners itself (like the new stoves that don't have a standing pilot light). If it's older most likely it has standing pilot. If so, and it's not lit, you need to light it. But if you feel uncomfortable lighting the pilot call the company back asap. Tell them you want it checked out and they can show you how to light the pilot safely.

Post Likes
    I don't understand why you don't call the guy that did the work. I wish you were my customer because people call me when the problem has nothing to do with my work.You might be trying to be nice and not bother him, but if it worked before he messed with it and now it does not,then it is his job to make good on it.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Post Likes
    Tim Fox,

I will - I was just trying to be a little resourceful before calling the guy back. I certainly don't want him to come back and light the pilot when I could have done it in 5 minutes and with 30 minutes of help from you guys on the web.

I actually lit the pilot and then turned on the 2 stats but the boiler didn't fire up like it used to. So I guess I'm done and I need to call the plumber guy that my GC hired when my addition was going up. Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in