Thread: training

Hybrid View

Do to injuries received in a accident my heavy lifting(as in compressor changeout)days are over. I am wanting to move into control work. I have 21 yrs experience as a commercial service tech. with a fair amount of pneumatic control work. Looking for input on the best way to go about retraining. Thanks in advance for any help

[Edited by kbr58 on 08-09-2005 at 08:32 AM]

You might want to check in with a local branch of one of the larger controls companies like JCI... They always have tons of money to throw away on training new guys on their systems.

Good luck! There is definitely age discrimination. Companies want to train young guys so they are around for a while (if they can keep them). I see a lot of assumtion that older techs don't know anything about computers.

Pneumatic control experience is a big help in grasping DDC strategies. I ran service for 14 years before I got into it. My pneumatics helped tremendously.
    When you do get a job, be prepared for a lot of at home study, learning whatever system your company uses. It'll be worth it.
    Good luck,
    Jogas