Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Handyman.

Anyone close a deal with a out of town home owner or was about to close one and their caretaker/handyman pours himself into it? I had this happen today. I have had it happen a few times. Sometimes the neighbor next door pours himself into the house I am working at. I dropped a condensing unit off at a home on Friday and went back for the install today. Called the home owner in Washington an he had just gotten back from Ireland.He lives in DC and this home here is a vacation home.

I was just a block or two from the house when I called. I needed to get in the house and his handyman had the key. Then he told me his guy had a guy over to look at the unit and gave him a price while he was in Ireland last week. The unit had a bad compressor which I knew about 2 weeks ago. The price the guy gave him was for a condensing unit only. Naturally I was twice as high because I strongly advised doing the air handler and he had already agreed to the deal which was on papper and in his hands in DC. When I got back to the house the top had all the screws out, capacitor was gone and the idiot had changed out the contactor. The old contactor is sitting on my new unit still in the box. I still have the guy in DC on the phone and I am getting pissed but don't let the guy know I am. Then I said..... look Larry, when I got here Friday all your plants were just about dead. I turned on the water and watered them all. The last time I was here I fixed a leak on the condensing unit and did not charge you. This handyman was here since I had been here Friday with this guy and he has been looking out after your house. Why don't you tell me how much you are paying him and just pay me because I will do it cheaper and make sure your plants stay alive and keep the jack legs away from your house. SILENCE. then he goes....Damn son, ya got me and you are right. The handy man delivered the key to me with out much to say ashort time later. I am in a area with a lot of out of town home owners. These guys are getting more common it seems.

Nicely handled.

I think that deserves a big WAY TO GO JAMES!

Yep, I think that was smoothly done.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

It has gone well so far...sometimes you have to calmly tell the customer how things are.

I usually don't like guys named Larry.
    So you are now his cabana boy, watering his plants and all??
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I can't stand to see plants suffering.

Originally posted by James 3528

So now the "Grow operation" is doing well....

Originally posted by James 3528

Perhaps you should head a worldwide campaign to water all the needy plants, like Sally Struthers only without all the whining.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

James: Wear something pretty when he gets back and act surprised when he comes on to you.

We all know how you got the cabana boy job, watered the plants haha thats a good one.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Yeah James, show him some of your hairy leg and ya might get a nice tip.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Guy had a Fedex at my door for 4.5 grand today

Rob said James and Dice are having a love fest over here is this the thread.

I was on a job today handyman told a woman her t'stat was bad. Old mecury bulb unit working fine just not level so set point isn't right. Thing is painted to the wall so can't level it without making a mess. Convinced her to leave it alone.

Here is the fun part he told her he would make it more accurate so he adjusted the heat anticipator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast