Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bikes

Maybe you thought I was talking about motorcycles. No I'm talking about the peddle kind. I was wondering if anyone rides for exercise. My knees don’t seem to like running for long anymore and I thought I would try a bike .I'm not familiar with brands or types since I haven’t road since I was a kid, but it was fun then. Does anyone know of a good bike or type. Thanks

3 speed schwinn, orange, bananna seat, sissy bar, and high handle bars.

oh, and cool reflectors.

and cards in the spokes.

Originally posted by billva
    3 speed schwinn, orange, bananna seat, sissy bar, and high handle bars.

oh, and cool reflectors.

and cards in the spokes.
    Don't forget the head and taillight with generator, stick shift gear changer, and speedometer!

Sounds like a Schwinn Orange Crate.

Personally, as a kid I rode around on an orange Peugeot UO8 ten speed. Great bike. Tracked straight as an arrow, very well balanced machine...I could ride everywhere hands-free...and would out-coast any bike in the neighborhood.

Then in my late teens I bought a Peugeot UO9. Not a bad bike but I could see the quality wasn't the same for an equivalent bike. In later years I bought a Specialized mountain bike but never have been all that fond of it. I'd like to get back into cycling so if I do I'd probably go for another road bike.

I also don't jog or run anymore as it's tough on the knees but I have found I can walk good distances with no problem and derive similar benefits as when I ran. When I have to (such as in bad weather) I'll use a treadmill but I'd much rather get outside and take off for a long walk, making it serendipidous at times to keep things interesting (just start walking a loosely planned route).
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I bought a Trek Sport Comfort bike, looks like a mountain bike but you ride more upright. There is a park with an 8 mile bike path about 15 minutes from the office. I go there often for some stress relief.

Trek is one of the big names...as for type depends what you want
    mountain hybrid or road.

Mountain bikes are of course for off road, trails, of course you can ride them on the road too...but heavier and more rolling resistance.

Hybrid is a more relaxed position road bike...start around 350$ ish. good for us old guys who cant get as low as we could many many years ago.

Road bikes are what us old people call 10 speeds...the curled down handlebars very skinny tires and are the fastest and most expensive.

IF you check the web pages of bike shops in your area there are lots of riding clubs and even the Hash house Harriers on bikes (A drinking club with a running or biking problem) local one in my area does trails.

For just plain exercise get a bike from (dare I say that word) Wal-mart and peddle...the extra weight of the bike will help burn more calories and if you move up..a Trek will seem really fast to you

When i think of peddling a bike i usually go lay on the bed
    & wonder how far i would of gotten.

If we run out of gas, I'll get a bike.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Talking

I hack sawed the front forks off of an old bike
    and hammered them on a newer bike to make a chopper.
    It was crazy but thought it was cool.

Originally posted by bigbird
    While laying on the bed you think of lots of things that never happened.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Thats right dice,& i tell her if you can get it up you can have it.

Originally posted by bigbird
    you must be a member of AA (Athletics anonymous).

when the urge to do something athletic strikes, you call a friend and go out drinking until the urge passes.

good luck

Originally posted by shophound
    Sounds like a Schwinn Orange Crate.
    Those bikes now sell for $800 - $1000 bucks !!

I had one as a kid and gave it away.

I have had a hard rock mountain bike by specialized for years. It didnt have the front or back shocks but I used it a lot on weekends for transportation around town.As long as I had my cell phone I could get back to the house or by the shop and grab a truck if it was an emergancy call. I broke down and bought a new Diamondback by topanga about 5- years ago being I thought I needed the shocks and new features. To be honest it was a waste of money on the new one, think it was more of a .....well if the new girlfriend is getting one to ride with me then maybe Im due for a new one. I dont know if I would ever buy a new one being you can pick them up pretty cheap from people that buy them and dont really use them. Now Im not in the hills enough to justify worrying about the shocks and being the newer ones already have them you will probably get them but I dont think thats a big worry if it doesnt. I have a real small pack behind my seat that I carry a fishnet backpack for carrying grocerys or anything big. Also a repair kit and spare tube in case I really get a flat in the mountains when Im camping and it cant be patched. Its great for throwing in the back of the truck if I have to drop any of them of for repairs and dont want to have to have someone pick me up. I guess Im the same as everyone else as far as running. I have too many friends that have had knee problems so I have pretty much went to walking or biking to save the knees. As I said before I dont think I would spend a big amount for one again unless you think your going to be competative , you know going up against Armstrong or something. Its like everything else 6- months later it is obsolete if you talk to the people that sell them. As you know as mechanically inclined as most of us are its not like you cant set down and go through them and make adjustments to make them run like new if you just take your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast