Question

Compressor not running in condensing unit. There is 24 and 208 volts to contactor. Compressor is not running. I checked the windings of the compressor and found that start to run has 5.6 ohms, Start to Run and Run to Common shows OL. Is it safe to say that the windings are bad in the compressor. The compressor was also very hot. This is a 15 year old coleman unit. I am new to the business and could use some help. Thanks

Did you check the overload safety at the compressor? Is the contactor closed?
    "The value of quality is long rembered after the thrill of low price is forgotten."

Sounds like the compressor is off on overload to me. Does it feel hot & does the condenser motor run?

The compressor is off on internal overload.Take some cold water from your garden hose and run over the compressor until it resets the overload.Than run the unit you will probably find a low charge,or a stuck compressor.

cool compressor and check capacitor, lra, charge, etc.,

Originally posted by bradjmx4
    Did you check the overload safety at the compressor? Is the contactor closed?
    No i did not check the overload at the compressor. I will do this today. The contactor is closed. Thanks.

compressor not running

After cooling compressor, recheck windings, if you get a reading on all terminals, the compressor was out on overload. If this is true then you need to start compressor and check freon charge, a low charge will cause the compressor to heat up, since the freon in the system keeps the motor in the compressor cool. check for discolored wires on contactor and compressor, weak windings will cause overload and hard starting occurs which discolors or burns wires. a hard start kit could help.also check the contacts on the contactor to see if arcing has occured, blackening around contacts, you may need to replace the contactor. Just a few things to look at!

nucareer: don't be offended, but what is your area of experience when it comes to HVAC. You sound reasonably knowledgable, but members of this site are usually very apprehensive about steering non-practioners into their equipment, for fear something may get damaged or worse, someone gets hurt.

Please keep in mind also, that even though you may be more than capable of performing the tasks, checks, and tests referred to, this post is visible by ALL who visit. So someone that doesn't have your mechanical ability, tries to do-it-themselves and winds up electrocuting themselves. Not a very pleasant result.

I caution my contemporaries in this sense, as we have had this dicussion in the past. Please use good judgement and caution when dispensing this type of advice. The best advice? DON'T!

I advise you contact an HVAC professional and have the system checked.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Deleted, after reading mr Lloyds post.

Good advice John, I saw your picture recently in the Great Lakes HVAC news.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast