Thread: What size condensing unit? Earth contact home

Post Likes
    I need to replace the condensing unit for a homeowner and I am not sure what size the old one is. Here is the problem, the units data tag is sun bleached and unreadable. The compressor also has no legible numbers. The homeowner says another A/C man told her it is a 1 1/2 ton unit.

The old unit is for an earth contact home. It has a 5/8 suction line and 3/8 liquid line. The furnace is a 55,000 BTU input/43,000 BTU output.

I tend to think 1 1/2 ton is correct but I just wanted some feedback.

Any guesses?

TIA!

Post Likes
    why guess, do a load calc

Post Likes

Question

Originally posted by filterchanger
    why guess,
    Perhaps, it's More FUN.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    What's a earth contact home? Like a berm or earthhome? TB

Post Likes
    I think they just start framing on the ground...no slab foundation,no crawlspace.

Post Likes

size condenser

Another way to size condenser is look at evap. coil and determine its size, label sometimes on outside but usually on inside. Copper tubing size indicates 1-1/2 to 2 ton, if length is less that 35-40 ft. If no label on evap coil and your still not sure do a heat loadcalc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in