Strange Feline Behavior

I let my dog Pumpkin outside the front door this morning and she took off like a bat out of hell after something on the other side of my truck on the driveway. I walk around back of the truck just in time to see Pumpkin chasing a mother cat who then drops a new born kitten from her mouth as she frantically escapes from my dog and into and across my neighbor's yard with my dog in relentless pursuit. Btw, Pumpkin wouldn't actually bite a cat as she never has but loves chasing them right out of their skin.

So I see this tiny little new born kitten, white and black just like the mother who dropped it, just sitting there where it was dropped as I call Pumpkin back from the neighbor's yard after the excitement, wanting to keep her away from the cats to make sure the mother came back for her offspring.

This is where it gets wierd. As soon as Pumpkin is out of the way and back on my driveway and out of sight of the cats, a different cat, an all black short hair adult, struts straight up to the kitten and picks it up and takes it around the corner in the direction of where the mother ran off to. The mother that I witnessed drop the kitten was fluffy and white and black.

I have never witnessed that in my life. I don't know if this was the father or what but I've never known of any other cat other than the mother to take care of it's own, let alone move another cat's kitten.

I was impressed.

It could have been one of the cats siblings, if they grow up together the bond between them is strong and they will help out with new kittens without the mother seeing them as a threat.

I think I've seen that on National Geographic with lions with aunts and other close relatives of new borns helping with their care.

Man, it was awesome to see "live"!

like to see critters of all types running around...... Makes it interesting..

I hope you guys are right,but sometimes other cats will kill the kitten for what ever reason. I saw this i little growing up on a farm.

National Geograhic also shown that Male LIONS will kill the young if the mothers not there to protect them.

Mother lions will also allow a new male to kill her young right in front of her if the mother is in heat and their previous suitor and father of their current young are not around as they will mate with the next male.

Slut.

I've seen that episode a few times and it gave me the heebie jeebies each time.

This was nothing like that, this was all in the family. It had to be as the second adult cat was very, very careful when picking up the kitten and then trotted off right in the mother's own footsteps, right after her. Coolest thing I've seen in awhile!

Funny. I just let Budsey into the garage from the basement.While he waited at the garage door to open, a mouse came in under the the door. Budsey grabbed it, looked at me to say Thanks and ran outside.
    Bob O. 84,Pa.

But I get sad when I see a crow raid a nest,and the Mom bird chases it.
    Bob O. 84,Pa.

We had a Male cat who was there when the kittens where born. Helped the Mother take care of the kittens, until they were given away.

I'll also remember this reply, after writing to Aquarist magazine, about a Copper Banded Butterfly fish I had that ate Flake food. They normally will only eat live food, and will starve if it's not availible. "Animals do not read Behavior manuals!"

That other Cat killed the kitten. did not eat it just killed it.

cool story Roadhouse. to bad about the ending I guess, if it was feral just as well.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!