Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    YEP,Sounds yust like my exwife, one from her nose & one from her tail.

Originally posted by icemeister
    Originally posted by cracker

Heard One about 5 years Ago here In FL, Shuttle Made a short Feild Approch....
    The unique thing about about the space shuttle landing is there's double sonic boom.....one from the nose and another from the tail. Boom-Boom!!!
    Same thing happens whe you eat at Sonic http://www.sonicdrivein.com/index.jsp

Cool back in the 60's

I lived near Shaw AFB in SC. First it was the F-100s, then the F-101 Voodoos (which took close up pics of the Russion missles in Cuba), then the F-4 Phantoms. Man, when they'd bank and light the after burners, you didn't need the sonic boom to loose dishes. We were on a hilltop where they always banked in their approach. The actual sonic booms still happen I've been told, just out over the ocean. I heard something about a law back in the 60's restricting airspeeds over land at less than Mach 1.

Any flyboys out there?

There was such an uproar over sonic booms around the country back in the late 50s and early sixties that the Air Force established their own regs as I understand it.

I grew up in near Pease AFB in NH during that era and there were big booms every day. The booms all stopped after that except for one time I recall when a squadron of RAF fighters came over in the mid sixties, flying in off the Atlantic. We had a bunch of booms that day as acknowledgment they had arrived.

The problem with the sonic booms in the 50's and 60's was the Soviet threat. People were building bomb shelters in their back yards and everyone was scared. A sonic boom would scare the crap out of people.

Originally posted by James 3528
    ....A sonic boom would scare the crap out of people.
    They were just annoying, broke windows, cracked plaster and knocked dishes off the shelf.....that's all.

We were used to them so there was no surprise. They just got folks PO'd.

Yea,that sonic boom on holloween night when my exwfe flew over on her jet propelled broomstick.

Smile hey bird!

I have got one of those too! Mine has a sticker on the back of her broom saying, "My other vehicle is a car!" I will sell her to you cheap. Nothing down. Just take over payments.

Nevermind,i paid enough on the old one.

Talking Come on birdie!

Rode early on Sunday morning, listening to AM radio! Cheap! Comes in any color you like! I can make you a deal.

There are air corridors that still have supersonic flights overland, most, but not all are military operation areas(MOA's), Edwards AFB being one. These corridors are restricted airspace at varying alt's, depending on FAA and military guidelines.

Military AC are approved for supersonic flight during times of emergencies outside of these air corridors, such as a intercept. 9/11 is a good example and some situations subsequent of 9/11.

Last one I heard was in the Navy, was more like a very close, very loud thunderclap than a boom.

They were donig some exibition for visitors on board and flew two jets by- one just fast enough to keep in the air and another blasted by it seemed only a few hundred yards from the ship. BAM!

The time it took to say "he's just visible at the horizon at just over mach one" the jet had come and gone.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Originally posted by billygoat22
    Last one I heard was in the Navy, was more like a very close, very loud thunderclap than a boom.

They were donig some exibition for visitors on board and flew two jets by- one just fast enough to keep in the air and another blasted by it seemed only a few hundred yards from the ship. BAM!

The time it took to say "he's just visible at the horizon at just over mach one" the jet had come and gone.
    Yep. In December of '84 my dad was aboard my ship for what was called the "Tiger Cruise" as we returned from overseas deployment. Dad flew to Pearl, met the ship there, and rode back with me to San Diego.
    Enroute, the Enterprise was astern of us and to port and she launched some F-14's. We were topside as we expected this, but I didn't expect one to go shooting by at Mach 1 or better! The noise was incredible and I swore I saw a vaprous cone of some sort surround the nose of the plane as it shot by. The aircraft seemed barely above the water, also. Too cool.

Other sonic booms. I was at my parent's house in the Sierra foothills late one night. Everyone had gone to bed but me. I heard a "thump thump" and thought something had shifted or gone wrong in the basement. I went down there to find all was well. Only the next day did I learn it was the space shuttle passing directly overhead as it approached the Mojave desert over 300 miles south.

The most harrowing sonic boom is when I heard shuttle Columbia blow up over Texas. I was sitting at the dining table eating breakfast and my wife was in the kitchen. I heard a rumble and some punctuated booms, looked at my wife with a bit of post-traumatic 911 flashback coming into my gaze and said, "What's that?" We went outside and saw nothing, heard nothing more, smelled no smoke from anything. Only later when we were at the hospital because my father-in-law that same morning almost passed out from an unrelated cause did we learn of the shuttle disaster. That was a sad, unforgettable morning.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast