Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newer Goodman product. What's you opinion?

Post Likes
    Just wanted to get an overall consensus of what you folks think about the newer Goodman stuff. Just wanted to ask if any of you guys have worked around the new 13 SEER units? Are they made better than the earlier stuff? I wonder when Goodman plans on having units for 410A? Our company installs nothing but Goodman heat pumps. It's the commercial made stuff, so I've seen some of the bad side of their stuff. From what I've heard through the grape vine the newer stuff is pretty nice. For the price and warranty they seem pretty good. Just my opinion. What do you guys think?

Post Likes
    Wooo boy! The can of worms is opened up wide on this one

Goodman is no longer as low in price and has increased trememdously in quality. With the Amana technology being introduced into the Goodman brand, this product is still the best bang for the buck.

Goodman has had R410a in their Amana brand for some years now. R410a will be introduced in the Goodman brand in 2006 with 14 and 16 SEER product lines.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    I agree with you on the bang for the buck. You tend to get a pretty decent product for the price. I've noticed some of the newer stuff to be quite nice. Sure beats their older stuff I've ran across. I hope their quality control is better than it use to be. I've seen some things on brand new units that are just unbelievable. Mainly bad connections on the compressor wires. I've ran across a lot of loose connections on the capacitors and high voltage wiring hooked up wrong to the contactor.

I hope the new 13+ SEER stuff is made better.

Post Likes
    Furnaces... BIG improvements.

Condensing units, they can take that louvered coil cover and throw it in the trash. While, I can say it makes the units look very appealing. They are a PIA for service techs and they add to the noise level when they vibrate!

Post Likes
    Any plans for a 2-stage heatpump that could match up to an AEPT air handler?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by archryhntng
    Any plans for a 2-stage heatpump that could match up to an AEPT air handler?
    Yep...middle of 2006
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    proper install more important than who made it.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by heatpumpjesus
    proper install more important than who made it.
    No doubt about it.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    I've installed some of the 14 seer units....the coils are very tall. But I like them, copeland scroll, lifetime warranty on compressor. Good price.

See RoBo, I'm not a hater.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Deep down inside, we are all great guys
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Goodman is still trying to find a co. that'll let them copy their designs, aren't they?

Post Likes
    What's to fing? There's nothing that much different in HVAC designs. There's been no major innovation in our industry in decades. Most of the components are vendored and even most of the different vendors have damned near the same stuff.

As far as copying goes, reverse engineering has been a factor of manufacturing for years. With owning Amana, Goodman has some of the best technology in the industry in house to use.

When it comes to control innovation, Goodman has always maintained a simpler approach of accomplishing the same function. Just look at the fossil fuel kits of Carrier, York and Trane from a few years ago while Goodman was doing the same thing with a much simpler control board that cost a fraction of the monstrosities the others had.

Now, we have the humidity control functions for the VS blowers. While other brands require $200 additional controls to be added to their overly engineered blower boards, Goodman is performing the same function with a standard "humidistat" and the need to cut a jumper on the blower control board.

Its like asking for the time; Goodman just tells you the time while some of the others tell you how to build a clock.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    I knew my post would illicit a defensive post from you, RoBo. I was just stirrin' the pot, so to speak.

Post Likes
    I love goodman, I love goodman, I love goodman, I love goodman,

Did I say I love goodman.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    I'm not even gonna ask what you're doin' with that Goodman you're moestin' right now....

Post Likes
    Stirring the pot is what keeps things interesting around here. Knowing the buttons to push for the different posters can be fun even I am the recipient of getting my buttons pushed
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    I hlped a friend of mine move into a new house last weekend, and I noticed that he had a Goodman condensing unit.

When it kicked on, damn was it noisy. I was appalled. Good thing he doesn't have neighbors right next door!

Post Likes
    Any condenser that noisy has something wrong with it or its application. Have your friend get the system serviced before he/she is without cooling.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    There is no doubt that Goodman has improved its quality.

Unfortunatly they still havn't kicked thier distributors asses yet, but the problems with many of thier distributors is not a problem unique to Goodman.

My biggest gripe with them is a problem common to many of the "value" brands.
    In my area, with our design conditions, 4 and 5 ton systems are very very common. Unfortunatly Goodman's "4 ton" systems are not 48k BTU, and thier "5 ton" systems are not 60k BTU. To get a sensable capacity equal to what I can get with a 4 ton Trane, or some other "high end" brands, you would need a 5 ton Goodman.
    If you need a sensable capacity of 41k BTUH, or higher, at the design conditions for my area, Goodman doesn't have a single equipment matchup that will do the job, the few matchups that come close to 41k btuh have terrable latent capacity. Trane has dozens of matchups that will do the job, most with very good latent capacity.

Post Likes
    Granted the Goodman products have had a bad reputation in the past, mainly the pre 2K area, I do see many improvements though.The Amana line appears to have gained Goodman some respect back, they appear to be a beter quality product over the standard Goodman product, even though they are manufactured by the same Company if You will.

For Example lets take the 12 seer condensing units of Goodman VS Amana, the Amana has a nicer cabinet design, A scroll Blanket which quiets the unit much more and just appears to be a better quality unit over all, and ya cant beat the 10/10 comp/parts labor either, if you want that from Trane you have to pay for an extra 5 yrs for the 10yr parts.If it comes down to $$ for a residential install or replacement, I will usally quote for a Amana, I leave the Goodmans for lets say light commercial replacements such as apartments etc, I start with Amana and go to Trane.

But as with any electrical components, more expensive doesnt always mean Trouble free performance, meaning a Trane can breakdown just like a Goodman, plane and simple.

Bottom line is , they have improved, IMHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in