Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I love goodman, I love goodman, I love goodman, I love goodman,

Did I say I love goodman.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

I'm not even gonna ask what you're doin' with that Goodman you're moestin' right now....

Stirring the pot is what keeps things interesting around here. Knowing the buttons to push for the different posters can be fun even I am the recipient of getting my buttons pushed
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I hlped a friend of mine move into a new house last weekend, and I noticed that he had a Goodman condensing unit.

When it kicked on, damn was it noisy. I was appalled. Good thing he doesn't have neighbors right next door!

Any condenser that noisy has something wrong with it or its application. Have your friend get the system serviced before he/she is without cooling.

There is no doubt that Goodman has improved its quality.

Unfortunatly they still havn't kicked thier distributors asses yet, but the problems with many of thier distributors is not a problem unique to Goodman.

My biggest gripe with them is a problem common to many of the "value" brands.
    In my area, with our design conditions, 4 and 5 ton systems are very very common. Unfortunatly Goodman's "4 ton" systems are not 48k BTU, and thier "5 ton" systems are not 60k BTU. To get a sensable capacity equal to what I can get with a 4 ton Trane, or some other "high end" brands, you would need a 5 ton Goodman.
    If you need a sensable capacity of 41k BTUH, or higher, at the design conditions for my area, Goodman doesn't have a single equipment matchup that will do the job, the few matchups that come close to 41k btuh have terrable latent capacity. Trane has dozens of matchups that will do the job, most with very good latent capacity.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Granted the Goodman products have had a bad reputation in the past, mainly the pre 2K area, I do see many improvements though.The Amana line appears to have gained Goodman some respect back, they appear to be a beter quality product over the standard Goodman product, even though they are manufactured by the same Company if You will.

For Example lets take the 12 seer condensing units of Goodman VS Amana, the Amana has a nicer cabinet design, A scroll Blanket which quiets the unit much more and just appears to be a better quality unit over all, and ya cant beat the 10/10 comp/parts labor either, if you want that from Trane you have to pay for an extra 5 yrs for the 10yr parts.If it comes down to $$ for a residential install or replacement, I will usally quote for a Amana, I leave the Goodmans for lets say light commercial replacements such as apartments etc, I start with Amana and go to Trane.

But as with any electrical components, more expensive doesnt always mean Trouble free performance, meaning a Trane can breakdown just like a Goodman, plane and simple.

Bottom line is , they have improved, IMHO

"and ya cant beat the 10/10 comp/parts labor"

I meant the 10/10 compressor/parts warranty,not any labor coverage, sorry

Amana/Goodman

Goodman has definitely seen some quality enhancements in their heating lines, attributable..... with little doubt to Raytheon/Amana. Some of the features on select condensers are even desireable. However, IMO they have a long way to go and I for one, certainly wouldn't hold my breath for Amana to be the lighthouse that guides them there, I mean Amana has way more than it's own share of issues that need resolved. The quality of Amana has suffered severely since control of the company was lost by the Amish, and even under their guidance suffered from a lack of technology advancements that were able to stand time proving tests. And, Amana has fought and continues to fight what is now an apparently industry wide adoption of R-410a as the replacement of choice for R-22. Amana undertook advertising campaigns against both Genetron (Honeywell) and Bryant (Carrier/Puron) to the consumer from day 1, most notably of which made claim that the consuming public as a whole were being used as lab rats with regards to the introduction of 410a to the public in selected models. The cut rates in anything...goods or service have to be recovered somewhere...quality is usually a good starting place to find out where those cuts have been made.

Holy Crap Batman! The Amish?

Amana started out as a co-op company of a religious organization, but they were not Amish. The company has been away from that co-op since 1932 when the entire Amana Society disbanded from the communal ways of living.

Raytheon Corporation bought Amana and injected declassified military technology into the company to produce the world's first microwave oven, the Amana RadarRange. Other military declassifications have been injected into the Amana HAC side of the company including the method for quick cooling rockets becoming the base technology for the Amana Heat Transfer Module systems.

When Goodman bought Amana, Amana held less then 2% of the market share in HVAC. The Goodman product has greatly benefited from the Amana technology and tooling while the Amana line is getting a greater recognition in the market due to Goodman's expertise in marketing to the HVAC contracting industry.

While Goodman was always a good bang for the buck value line it is now every bit a quality product as any other on the market. No...not every model or every component of any brand is going to be the best in the market, but Goodman has met the market innovations and has done so in a simpler manner that keeps contractor costs down.

Goodman has gone from zero to number two in the market to having the most singular named HVAC product in American homes in twenty short years. With that kind of rapid expansion there are going to be marketing issues such as the product getting into the hands of nonprofessionals.

The distributor end of Goodman's marketing has greatly increased despite what Mark feels. Maybe the distributor in Marks area is not keeping up Goodman's policies of selling only to the HVAC industry. If so, that distributor needs to be reported rather then making a blanket statement about Goodman overall.

Hmm

Gotta be a Goodman dealer, or a stock holder in Google.

steamer - Wrong Trane XL and XLI systems give you full 10 year on all and I stress all parts if you install the AH and condenser unit together.
    The Goodman warranty is not a full 10 yr warranty. You have to install both together to get the 10yr parts warranty on the AH and even so only the AH coil is covered by 10 yrears and the rest 5 years. Sounds like a weaker warranty to me!

Someone please explain to me how Goodman is so innovative in it's technology as one has posted! It looks like copied technology to me!

[Edited by kevinmac on 08-09-2005 at 10:36 AM]

Originally posted by kevinmac
    steamer - Wrong Trane 14seer and up systems give you full 10 year on all and I stress all parts if you install the AH and condenser unit together.
    The Goodman warranty is not a full 10 yr warranty. You have to install both together to get the 10yr parts warranty on the AH and even so only the AH coil is covered by 10 yrears and the rest 5 years. Sounds like a weaker warranty to me!

Someone please explain to me how Goodman is so innovative in it's technology as one has posted! It looks like copied technology to me!

[Edited by kevinmac on 08-09-2005 at 09:15 AM]
    IT'S ALL COPIED TECHNOLOGY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast