2 air handlers sharing a single heat pump
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 air handlers sharing a single heat pump

Is it possible to use two air handlers and only one heat pump? This is not for the purpose of zoning! Both air handlers would be running off the same thermostat..

thanks

Wayne

Interesting question. I know that there are mini split systems that use up to four blowers (air handlers) on one compressor so it should be a possibility on bigger systems, I've just never seen or heard of it.

Possible? Yes. Seldom practical, and you need a good tech to pipe and set it up right.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Split system heat pumps need to be a matched set of equipment approved by the manufacturer in order to be reliable , with longevity and rated performance.

With straight cooling , it is possible to pair up air handlers on one condensing unit. Preferably a dual circuit condensing unit. Obviously the indoor airflow needs to match the total tonnage of refrigeration.

A single refrigerant circuit condensing unit could also be applied , so long as the piping design and installation is carefully done and researched.

But were talking cooling only , here...

You know what the manufacturer is going to tell you about heat pumps...

The heat pumps I've done it too. Were installed/twinned together. It wasn't practical to install a 7.5 ton air handler since the gable ends would have had to of been opened to get them in. So 2-4 ton air handlers and a 7.5 ton heat pump. Works great, and has been operating for 6 years with only one glitch(someone shut the power off to the air handlers for routine service, and forgot to turn both back on, the safeties shut the system down).
    Contractor locator map

Sould work fine. The two biggest concerns are making sure the air handlers are twined, and the piping designe, You did not state how far apart the air handlers would be. This could cause a problem with oil slugging if they are on different floors.

I think that design is called a threesome in A/C terminology.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

thanks guys.. the two air handlers which are both 1,5 tons identical models would be placed right next to each other at the same level, side by side into the same ducting so the piping design I am assuming would be no problem as long as the piping is split as close to the air handlers as possible right? Are there any special fittings that should be placed between the air handler and the heat pump/condenser (which is a 3 ton unit)?

thanks

Wayne

Side by side still requires a proper piping arrangement.

Who is your contractor.
    Contractor locator map

Smile

I don't have anybody lined up right now, I just want to get my ducks in a row before I approach somebody. I want to get myself educated about this first from a bunch of pro's before I bring somebody in.. just need to know what questions I should be asking and what I should be looking out for so that I don't have a crappy job done. Not that I don't trust HVAC guys I just don't trust 'all of them' if you can understand me.. had a few bad experiences and I just want to make sure this is done right.

thanks

In addition to proper piping, the controls must be modified or control transformers must be phased in order not to burnout electrical components.

All piping must be equal in size and length.
    LLS must be installed on both units
    Interlock relay for 24v.
    that the way carrier corp. tech told us. if we used 2 AHU and a single Condenser
    GOOD WORK IS NOT CHEAP! AND CHEAP WORK IS NOT GOOD!

IF YOU THINK A GOOD HVAC COMPANY IS EXPENSIVE. THEN YOU SHOULD TRY A BAD ONE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast