Thread: Help! Motor model?

Post Likes
    My 18 years old Magic Chef Central AC outside fan motor just stopped working. It is a Westinghouse brand. Could not figure out the model number or horse power. The label says the following: S# 323P888, 350B001, RPM 825, HZ60 PH1, V208-230, A1.3, Type FLL, HTU48, Ser.A. H86, AMB C40, Thermally protected Type C, E46993.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by victork1998
    RPM 825,V208-230,A1.3,
    Thanks.
    That info should help you get a close replacement if not an exact replacement motor, that is all you will need to know if you deal with a seasoned counter man at Grainger or Johnstone.
    you should be able to look at the fan blade to tell direction.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Is the fan motor a single shaft or adouble shafted motor,Is the fan on the top or on the side?Most of the time you could probably use a universal motor,but if the system is 18 years old you probably should get it replaced because you could easily pay 300-400 dollars to have it fixed and close to 1000.00 for a new one.Not to mention the damage that could have been done,dependinh on how long the fan has been down.also it might just be the capacitor a 25 dollar part.

Post Likes
    Depending on the fan blade size, it will take a 1/4hp,or 1/3hp 825 rpm cfm.

Post Likes
    Hi, thanks.

The motor is a single shaft sitting on top. I noticed it was running intermittently two, three days ago. It stopped working completely now. It was down for only a couple of days. Hope no major damage down. Trying to get it fixed now. I got two more AC working in the house, no need to rush a replacement. Will wait for a couple of years to get a higher efficient model replacement. The 14, 15 seer Trane model will cost me around $5000. Hope the price will drop, or get a Goodman unit.

Post Likes
    If the motor is a single shaft sitting on top,then a universal 1/4hp motor should work for you.Any heating and air contractor should have one.Don't forget to have them check the capacitor,this time of year I have alot of them going out,a very simple fix.

Post Likes
    Thanks.

I am having a local contractor coming to replace the motor, capacitor and checking/charging pressure. It is raining here and that keeps him from coming. He said he wants to measure the pressure in non-raining day for accuracy. (?)

I noticed there are two copacitors. One large, one smaller. Which one is for the motor?

Post Likes
    The smaller of the 2 is for the outdoor fan motor and the larger for the compressor,if the smaller cap. is bad it may be bulged where the wires hook up.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by victork1998
    Will wait for a couple of years to get a higher efficient model replacement. The 14, 15 seer Trane model will cost me around $5000. Hope the price will drop
    prices dropping? you are dreaming.

your unit has served it's useful life at 18 years. i personally would not put a dime into it. today the motor, tomorrow the compressor. next day new unit.

Post Likes
    How about a Goodman unit? Much lower priced. Like 96% two stage furnace and 15 seer AC unit only cost just above 2 grand (E-bay). Almost less half what Trane charges. Don't know the quality tough.

Post Likes
    what will e-bay charge to install it?

Post Likes
    Definitely will get a good local contractor to install it. Not now when they are all busy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in