I am adding AC to an existing furnace...the need for cooling exceeds the capacity of the current blower...what are the limitations on a the output of a blower wheel?...can I add a motor with a few more rpms or do I have to change the cage and everything?...thank you Jason..

what is your set up ?

Is this a belt drive ?
    If so what is the motor h/p and pulley size.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

this is a direct drive unit...

is the ductwork sized to accept the extra cfm sure a faster blower will move more air maybe provide the cfm's you need but then the air moving will have a higher velocity.

the blower wheel can push a certain amout of air and not more. as for as how much air it will produce is determinded by the size of the wheel. putting a higher rpm motor may increase the cfm as long as the wheel is not at its max already. if this is a furnace you are changing the disign delta t for the furnace also. if you need more btu of cooling and it is more the the blower is designed for then you should replace the furnace/airhandler also
    or use the max btu the blower will alow in cfm

If its a 1075 motor, your going to have a hard time finding a higher rpm motor.

A higher hp motor may help, but what about the duct work, will it handle more cfm.

Best thing is to replace the furnace, with correct drive blower.(after confirming duct work can handle it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

yes, the ductwork can handle it...and I know I can find like a 1625 rpm motor..

Originally posted by jmanwoodie
    IMHO you are going to create bad situation by trying to bandaid this application.

Did you verify the blower did not have enough capacity?
    What methods did you use?

I would say if the blower does not have the capacity the ductwork more than likely doesn't either.

You might want to recommend the equipment that is needed instead of rigging something.

[Edited by davidr on 08-07-2005 at 07:15 PM]
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

But will the wheel handle that rpm? It may not be designed with that high of an rpm in mind.

Good luck.

PS: can you slow the rpm of that motor enough that it won't cause condensation in the heat exchange in the winter?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by davidr
    IMHO you are going to create bad situation by trying to bandaid this application.

Did you verify the blower did not have enough capacity?
    What methods did you use?

I would say if the blower does not have the capacity the ductwork more than likely doesn't either.

You might want to recommend the equipment that is needed instead of rigging something.

[Edited by davidr on 08-07-2005 at 07:15 PM]

Ditto

even if...

...you manage to accomodate the cooling requirements, what are you going to do about heating? Change the motor back in the winter time?

Just curious