Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Goodman not doing so good I suspect a damaged fan, when the condenser unit gets the call and comes on it has a sever clanging sound? it is CK60-1C model and the goodman site donesn't give much info. can anyone help?
    thanks

RDS

If there is not an obvious obstruction hitting the fan blade, your best bet is to call an HVAC contractor to find out what is happening.

An HVAC manufacturers site is not there to give DIY instructions on their equipment. HVAC equipment is not a DIY product for many reasons.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

turn it off and call a pro, OR a goodman contractor. depending on the age it may be under warranty.

Originally posted by billva
    turn it off and call a pro, OR a goodman contractor. depending on the age it may be under warranty.
    Does it have to be a Goodman Contractor to work on a Goodman?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

no it can be a junk man since its junk.
    just kidding of course. residential air conditioners are simple air conditioning units they all do the same thing and are basically wired the same. and use generally the same parts.

I agree,

However, the unit is in Texas and I am in WA. I was only asking if anyone has heard of such a thing. the tech that want out to the unit said there was no prob. I on the other hand do not agree. one thing i did not mention was that it has been doing this for three years every sence hail storm. I also realize the sites are not for just everyone, that is why i was asking if anyone knew about a site for only hvac tech to go to? just doing research and learning the field, for when I join ranks in a year.

what good will the sites be they cant troubleshoot your unit, to fix it it has to be hands on work

at least its in GOD'S country

RoBo Teq: I think you are an advisor to the Goodman org. FYI: I paid a visit to the local Goodman distributor and he had a 10SEER unit (I guess CPLT series) installed outside the building and running. I heard a periodic metallic sound coming from the fan. I also noticed that the louvered grill was actually flexing on the bottom side of the unit when the fan was on. It was pretty noisy..The distributor was nice enough to take the time to take a CPLT 13 SEER condensing out of its box. I noticed that the fan was bolted directly to the top frame with screws exposed like my 16 year Amana unit which is all rusted out by now. Why don't they bolt it to some kind of an isolation mount inside the cabinet like the others do. Also there was no compressor blanket for the 13 SEER as the Goodman web site advertises. The distributor said it was not a good idea to have one because of the heat... Now I know that all of this probably has nothing to do with performance (although I saw factors that pointed towards noise) but I think Goodman needs to work a little bit more on the packaging. My 2 cents as an HO

All Goodman CPLT units have Copeland scroll compressors with sound blankets and a grill style top. I have no idea what you are talking about with isolation mounting of outdoor unit motors.

Nothing that Goodman does is unique. Whatever Goodman is doing, some other manufacturers are doing the exact same thing. Goodman does lean towards accomplishing the same end result by using simpler methods, but again, nothing that is not elsewhere in the industry.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

The fan motor is bolted directly to the top frame with exposed screws on the Goodman. I've looked at an American Standard and it, like my 11 year old Carrier has what looks like a hard plastic center piece and the mounting screws are under this not exposed. I'm not saying this is bad, but I just happen to like the other design better. About the sound blanket, I can only go by what the distributor said, he was very emphatic about it not having one. Maybe he was not showing me a 13 SEER CPLT, I asked to see one..

not trying to start something butgoodman is no differant then any of the rest. trane,lenox,carrier,comfortmaker,rheem,york,and some others also have motors mounted to the top grille with the screws sticking out. this has become comon practice to cut down on the expense of making the units. the higher end lenox unit have a steel mount for the fan but this doesnt make it any better. so to put down any one brand in a public fourom is not very fair and misinforms the public.
    like i have said before i am mostly trane and lenox but have installed a few goodman and find the same quality in them also.

The unit was damaged in a hail storm three years ago, has been making a noise since then and the unit is just now being looked at? Why are you even involved since you are many miles away. Is the technician a friend that is unable to visually look at the unit or not capable of determining the differance between a mechanical problem or a structural(clearance) problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast