Thread: Question on maintenance clean & checks

Post Likes

Question on maintenance clean & checks

We have recently change our procedure on our clean & checks (preventive maintenance visits). In the past we have always connected our gauges to evaluate the charge in the system, in doing so on occassion we have had situations arise where we may have caused a leak on schraders, valves, etc. going forward we now evaluate the system and perform industry/manufacture requirements such as checking static pressure, evaluating temps in return & supply to establish our splits, etc and only then if the system does not have good readings do we apply our gauges. keep in mind this procedure is only done on systems that we see once to twice a year. on tune-ups that we go on for the "first time" we more often apply our gauges.

does anyone not recoomend this or are their companies out there that also operate along these same lines on their preventive maintenance?

thanks for your input in advance!!

Post Likes
    I disagree with this method. I also recently argued about this with my service manager. How do we know were not reading a 20 degree split because our coil is a frozen block of ice?! That may be a little exaggerated but my point to him and with this issue is you do not know what is happening on the refrigerant side of the system unless you put gauges on it and measure your superheat and subcooling. Is it metering properly? are we slugging the compressor? etc. You wouldn't be able to catch this on a preventative side unless you check whats is actually taking place inside the line set and coils. At least, that is my opinion.

Post Likes
    Strictly as a serviceman, I started doing that on some systems that were old, obviously no-one had been doing it before me. This in response to one system that you had to get your refrigerent wrench out to access the pressures and it wouldn't seal properly after I was done & the lady ended up buying a new system rather than pay for repairs. When I ran into such a system again I just explained the situation to the homeowner & let them make the decision. I used to use a chart that would tell me what my supply air should be based on dry & wet bulb temp with 400 cfm's being assumed.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Post Likes
    Ron & Tips, i appreciate the input very much and hope more will "chime" in. i want to make sure everyone understands that a very large majority of these systems are ones that we originally checked with gauges and got the proper amount of refrigerant in them to begin with...in fact most are systems we originally installed and we have been seeing them over and over for years. i do not have alot of service background and have takin over as service manager from the president of our company. i have heard his side of the theory and appreciate hearing others.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonTTT View Post
    Ron & Tips, i appreciate the input very much and hope more will "chime" in. i want to make sure everyone understands that a very large majority of these systems are ones that we originally checked with gauges and got the proper amount of refrigerant in them to begin with...in fact most are systems we originally installed and we have been seeing them over and over for years. i do not have alot of service background and have takin over as service manager from the president of our company. i have heard his side of the theory and appreciate hearing others.
    On most systems, I can't see why you wouldn't put your gauges on. I can't see where NOT putting them on benefits your company or your customers. Probably a more important concern is making sure the techs you are sending out know what the heck they are doing.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Post Likes
    We always put ours on.But carry a bunch of service port caps with new gaskets.We always replace the cap when we connect to a system, they are cheap and save a lot of call backs.On the service valves we always use leak loc when putting them back on.

Post Likes
    New caps

Post Likes
    Be a Pro...Check and record the data on the invoice.
    For maintenance use 2" hoses to the gauge with no manifold.
    For a cap, a metal 1/4" flare nut with a copper bonnet, wrench tight will seal well and discourages huffers.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    Do you charge extra for the flare nuts and copper bonnets?

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Post Likes
    I aiways gauge up with my quick connect single gauges that I carry in my bag. Almost no loss. I don't use my manifold on a pm unless I need to adjust the charge.I also replace missing or damaged caps to cover my a$$.

Post Likes
    I always hook up. Missing a crazy txv could well cost a compressor. Tell the techs to check if the schrader is leaking before they put the caps back on.

Post Likes
    @Jason- Even though you may have seen these units over the years, that doesn't mean something hasn't changed since last year. Your there to do a PM, be professional and be thorough with your work, check your pressures, superheat and subcooling. The idea of not doing it is something that mostly comes from service managers who are "out of touch" with whats current in the field. The alleged fears range from cross contamination to losing refrigerant and leaking valves. All of which are simply addressed by having qualified techs doing the services and none of these issues should be a problem.

Post Likes
    I see so many over-charged systems, I can't imagine NOT checking SH/SC.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes

always check pressure 1st

I always check pressure 1st. Write them down, clean the coils then show the customer the difference after. Most of the time they are impressed and happy I took the time to explain it to them.

Post Likes
    Typical p.m. call where I work consists of... check filter, if washable,wash, replace when needed... check coil for any debris, etc... check coil pan for standing water... vacuum drains from outside house,if pump is used, prime the pump a few times; add a pvc union if needed for easy coil access and cleanout...check capacitors for amp draw and mfg... clean coils when needed... check gauges for normalcy... get differential with a target of 18- 20... load up, move on

Post Likes
    i got in the habbit of hooking my gauges up first to ensure refrigerant is in the system. a few times i had cleaned the coil on a 2,3,4 year old system and then hook my gauges up to find no refrigerant.

one time i did have to go back after a coworker serviced it due to no refrigerant. i almost left one with a leaky schader, but i got lucky and felt a breeze when a finger passed buy it. from then on i checked the schrader on every one. i would replace the questionable ones.

Post Likes
    I don't have any problem running pm's for regular customers and not hooking up.
    No load indoor or out i don't see the benefit of artificially creating normal working conditions on equipment that i maintain and have a history with.
    I have a good professional working relationship with my regular customers.

Post Likes
    We avoid manifold hookup unless there is a suspected problem on annuals, especially if system is performing within airflow/pressure and temp/humidity specs after good visual and coils cleaned. This is especially true on new inverter/dc compressor r410a systems, but then again they talk to me pretty good about things that are hurting inside .

K

Post Likes

Cool

Maintenance Requirement
    Filter
    Drains
    Blower
    Coil

Check condenser Coil/airflow
    amp/motor
    contactor/ points
    run/cap value
    compressor amps
    LS-Pressure
    HS-Pressure

SLT-superheat
    LLT-sub-cooling
    T.D. indoor
    humidity/ W.B.
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    Thank you all for the great input, appreciate it very much!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in