Confused

I'm sure that Infrared Thermometers have there uses in the HVAC/R felid (there on the schools recommend tool list for a reason)...just that I have not got that far in classes yet. i know that Multimeters like Fluke have temperature probes so I get all confused....or maybe too many late nights trying to figure out things with only a few hours of sleep.

SO my ??? is what do you all use Infrared Non-contact Thermometers for instead of just using temperature probes??

What are the best/better brands? Any brands to avoid?

Thanks All

One of the best uses is to scan an attic or other area for air leaks.

Don't buy a cheapie, I don't get the same reading that I get with a clamp on or strap on. Even using black tape.

One thing to keep in mind is that these are surface thermometers and do not read air temperature, they come in handy for many things such as looking for hot spots in a breaker panel of finding a poorly insulated area in a wall or ceiling, just dont try to take a system temperature drop with one by pointing it at the grilles

I have a Fluke 61 great thermometer (not for Supperheat/subcooling)but they do work well for hit the grills in warehoue's from the floor. Taking temps on steam traps,motors,pumps ect.

[Edited by fitter638nyc on 08-08-2005 at 05:13 PM]
    Tin Knockers BANG for a living

Are you serious about measuring temperature?

Check what Dave wrote a couple of weeks ago on the topic.
    Also, Dow just bought a new toy and he loves it to death!

You gotta be careful though .... some view this topic as controversial .... fact of the matter is this; those who know the value of IR insturements are ahead of the game ... and those who refuse to utilise IR will be left standing in the dust!

use the search feature here to locate what D4 and Dave wrote about IR thermometors.

When it comes to taking temperature measurerments;

If the thermometer don't touch,
    I don't trust it much.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

The Cooper that I have had for several years matches up pretty close to my fluke 54 with 80PK8 pipe clamps when there is black tape on the pipe.

I got a Fluke 61 on impulse some time ago, and it is real close to the $200.00 surface probe on compressor heads and such. It doesn't get used a lot, because it doesn't read below zero.

BUT, shooting it at dairy/deli/meat case honeycombs, it is almost always dead on with the case thermometers.

The Cooper is also pretty good on low temps.

One thing you have to remember, is that all but the BEST IR's (1000 dollar neighborhood...) have HUGE measurement areas unless you're within 6-8" of the object being measured.

I wouldn't recommend this a tool for a new tech. It's simply a convenient tool to have after you've mastered the basics, and are comfortable pulling out a thermocouple at the appropriate times. (Ed Dice. )

IR thermometers are 100% useless for taking return and supply air temperatures of a system(I wish home inspectors understood that), or for refrigerant line temperatures.

They are very handy for some electrical troubleshooting and other things mentioned by previous posters.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    IR thermometers are 100% useless for taking return and supply air temperatures of a system
    Not completely true. Shoot the grill's and you can see what units are running and which ones aren't. So, lets call them 99.9% useless for that use.

If anyone thinks a lazer gun is useless, simply don't understand. I see the wholesale houses push the cheap ones raytek has. Those suck. If your using a cheap one, then I understand why you think they suck. I just got a new one, rayteks high end, the same one NASA and Nascar are using. I got the pipe clamps and about a half dozen different type thermocouple types. When I got it I was comparing 5 different temp probes to my new lazer. It's never been out of range by more than a degree and a half. Mine claims 1% accuracy through out ambient conditions. Superheat and subcooling, just shoot a non shiny area.

Dave, Ever torch a receiver, than lazer it to find your level. Much better than burning my golddarn fingers anymore. Discharge air it's perfect for too. With a Leak Detector, Some Smoke and a Lazer, and I can check out a sales floor in no time.