Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Condenser Bigger than Evaporator

Is there a advantage or disadvantage to having a condenser that is bigger than the evaporator? R-22 both 13 SEER

If anything, you want your evaporator a half ton to a full ton larger than your condenser, not the other way around. The added surface area of the evaporator coil will increase the efficiency of your system.

A larger condenser will add too much strain on the compressor and cause it's failure.

Only do what is approved by the mfr. There are a few cases I've seen where you can use a .5 ton smaller evap. Increases your sensible-latent split toward the latent side of things. But only if it is rated as a match.

I live in Houston where we have high humidity. Would a bigger condenser pull out more humidity? This unit is one of two in my house and it serves the upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by ATwistedMax View Post
    I live in Houston where we have high humidity. Would a bigger condenser pull out more humidity? This unit is one of two in my house and it serves the upstairs.
    You will have to have your HVAC service provider do a load calculation on your home to make that sizing determination.

Look for a member "classical". He's a pro at Houston's humidity removal!

He knows a late member who pushed small evaps to control humidity. But there are other methods too. This guy was a little controversial!

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    If anything, you want your evaporator a half ton to a full ton larger than your condenser, not the other way around. The added surface area of the evaporator coil will increase the efficiency of your system.

A larger condenser will add too much strain on the compressor and cause it's failure.
    You should do a little more study before you make statements like that because you are so wrong.

A compressor is a pump it does not care what it is pumping to, as long as the system is setup correctly it will work as long as any other system.

I happen to have a 4-ton coil on my 5-ton condenser and it works perfectly fine and has for almost ten years.

To the OP coils do not have SEER ratings they effect the SEER and the EER they also do not have BTU capacities just nominal capacity ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    You should do a little more study before you make statements like that because you are so wrong.
    And you should be more considerate to correct me via PM rather than on the open forum. Otherwise nobody learns anything.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    I happen to have a 4-ton coil on my 5-ton condenser and it works perfectly fine and has for almost ten years.
    A large part of the SEER game for some time was oversizing condenser coils to lower head pressure. The larger coils also allow greater subcooling of the liquid refrigerant, with a related increase of net refrigerating effect in the evap.

Also, a condenser, in rated heat rejection capacity, would never be sized smaller than the evap's rated heat absorption capacity, because the condenser must not only reject heat picked up from indoors, it must also reject heat of compression plus motor winding heat from the compressor.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Ok, so there's nothing wrong with me going with a 3.5 ton evap and a 4 ton condenser from what I'm hearing here.

One more thing, looks to me that new r22 systems only come with 5 year warranties now. True?

Quote Originally Posted by ATwistedMax View Post
    Ok, so there's nothing wrong with me going with a 3.5 ton evap and a 4 ton condenser from what I'm hearing here.
    Not necessarily a good or a bad thing it depends on many factors including quantity and velocity of air across the coil, metering device and the needs of the house. Nothing about this business is cut and dried there are always multiple options that can be explored and considered.

To make an appropriate and rational decision requires a thorough evaluation of your home, your expectations and your budget. When this has been done then you can discuss a practical solution to your needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast