My question is: I know of many apt buildings with older split a/c systems. I know that to replace the cond. unit, you should change the old evap. coil, but that doesn't happen alot. Putting a 10 SEER c/u on these old coils works, but not at the 10 SEER. I have done it b/4 and see it done quite often. Will the problem be compounded any when all changes to 13 SEER. Will it be a more definate "cannot put a 13 SEER on the 6 or 8 SEER coil" or will it also work, just not up to the SEER rating of the c/u. Most bldg owners will want to only change the c/unit. Thanks for any input.

With the condensing units having two to three times the coil capacity, you'd best believe there are going to be problems. Even worse for those doing this with a heat pump.

Our industry is going to have quite a boon of changing out systems that have been done this way. Get ready for some overtime for the next five years.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I know that the high side pressures run lower than they did with 6 & 8 SEER a/c units. What are your thoughts of putting a 10 SEER on an old coil? Did you always feel that was a no no. Thanks

An HVAC system is just that; a system. As a system it consists of two major components, one goes inside and one goes outside. If you only replace one component you do not have a new system.

Would it be right to put a an old Chevy radiator in a new Ford vehicle? Of course not. But that is exactly what you are doing when you put an old whatever brand indoor coil onto a new outdoor unit.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

The only thing I'm dreading about the changeover is the height of the systems I am going to have to be installing....with Rheem I have a 51 1/2" system leaving adequate room for transitions to existing ductwork. These newer coils are a lot taller like the old Tranes and it is going to take some imagination at times..heh....thank goodness we recently built a new shop and the boss is going to stock up on coils and a/c's to make the transition a little slower.