Hmm...and here I was thinking you might be posing the question as to how skilled one ought to be with a psychometric chart...the kind that deal with temperature, relative humidity, wet bulb, enthalpy, etc.

How did the head shrinks manage to co-opt this term for a personality test?
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Psychrometrics has several meanings. If you look in a dictionary you will see that many words have a first meaning, second meaning, ect..

One of the meanings for psychrometrics is "the measure of" something.

Therefore there is a science of measuring personality traits. In education the term psychrometrics of learning is used to refer to the measurement of how much the student has learned.

In HVAC we measure the conditions of air such as wet and dry bulb temperatures, relative humidity, specific humidity, enthalpy, etc.. The psychrometric chart plots the relationships of these measured elements against each other so if we measure any two elements on the chart we can determine the others.

Norm

Well, knowing full well I could refer to additional sources, here's what a quick check of dictionary.com rendered:

psy·cho·met·rics P Pronunciation Key (sk-mtrks)
    n. (used with a sing. verb)
    The branch of psychology that deals with the design, administration, and interpretation of quantitative tests for the measurement of psychological variables such as intelligence, aptitude, and personality traits. Also called psychometry.

psychometrics

n : any branch of psychology concerned with psychological measurements [syn: psychometry, psychometrika]

If we're speaking in loose terms of "variables", I can see how the term was crossed over to thermodynamics, but I was under the impression that psychometrics by itself dealt with temp, humidity, etc.

Incidentally, not to nitpick, but dictionary.com returned "no definition for this entry" for the word psychRometrics.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

One of the meanings of psychro is cold. Metrics means measurement. But, psychro can also mean measurement as I stated earlier in this thread.

Open mouth, insert foot for shophound.

Some days are just like that. <shrug>